Author Topic: Taxi to airport  (Read 2703 times)

Offline canewdon8

Taxi to airport
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:37. »
Hi, I'm doing some research.  May need a taxi at 9am on a Sunday in December.  Does anyone know how reliable the official taxis are when picking up at an address, rather than at the taxi rank? Should I book more than 24 hours in advance?

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Taxi to airport
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 13:46. »
Ha ha this always opens a can of worms there are the licencensed taxi that you can book however I have met three separate people who have been let down by these and on your way to the airport to catch a plane is not the place for that to happen .

Then there are the illegal guys any bar will give you a contact for one these are cheaper and in my opinion much more reliable however they are not insured etc

My view is use the illegals at least they turn up and don't rip you off

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Taxi to airport
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 14:41. »
I heard a corker a couple of weeks ago.
An "unlicensed taxi" picked some friends up to go to the airport, they commented that it wasn't his usual car.
They then got a constant moan all the way to the airport that the "taxi man" had to hire a car for a fourtnight every month to stop his car number plate popping up too many times on the automatic number plate recognition at the airport!!
He went on to moan about how expensive the insurance was!!
Still, it's a lot cheaper than getting a licence, paying income tax, national insurance and complying with all the regulations the licensed guys have to.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Taxi to airport
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 15:11. »
It still must have been worth his while or he wldnt have done it - amazing!!!

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline masmu

Taxi to airport
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 21:39. »
If the legal taxis took and passed a 'knowledge' test for Gran Alacant and could then be relied on to arrive at the correct address on time then I am sure that people would be happy to use them.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Taxi to airport
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:07. »
Perhaps the secret is to arrange for pick-ups at easily identified locations. i.e. Novamar Centro, Unide, Gabe, Merditerraneo shops etc.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Taxi to airport
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:39. »
I think a lot of the negative stories regarding official licenced taxis either overcharging or getting lost are spread by persons with a vested interest in providing an illegal service. From my experience of using countless taxis to and from the airport they always know the destination when aligned to ie mercadona, medical centre, market etc. The price you pay is exactly what the meter says no ifs or buts, the route taken is always the direct route no clocking up extra miles like london cabbies routinely do. All in all a very good service.
They dont like it up em !

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Taxi to airport
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:02. »
Er my husband is a licensed black cabbie - please do not generalise.  He is as honest as the day is long. The old dears love him, goes above and beyond.

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Taxi to airport
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:24. »
I agree with some of your points victor the cabs at the airport are excellent never had an issue the problem is with the santa pola ones when you try to get picked up to go to the airport they just aren't reliable

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Taxi to airport
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 01:17. »
Puddy woo i generalise because after working in the capital for over 20 years and getting hundreds of black cabs, the frequency of taking the long route is extremely common. I constantly challenge cabhies as to why we are taking certain routes which are longer, the stock answer is usually to avoid congestion or roadworks. I think drivers quickly assess who the passengers are, if locals the quickest and shortest, if from outside london like me some drivers chance there luck, if from overseas well the stories over the years of cabbies royally shafting tourists are endless.
They dont like it up em !

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Taxi to airport
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 09:43. »
Apparently nothing more annoying than being told which way to go and then hitting roadworks that could have been avoided. I guess we can generalise about all professions.

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Maricia

Taxi to airport
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 12:14. »
I seem to remember that someone started a petition to have taxis based at the Carabasi area, did anything come of it?
BW
Maricia

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Taxi to airport
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 13:24. »
I think its still ongoing. My husband signed it up at Oceans bar the other day

Casa De Valen Med II