Author Topic: What have you planned this year?  (Read 3194 times)

Derek

What have you planned this year?
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:16. »
Hola

After nearly thirteen years of turning my computer on each morning and seeing what was news in Gran Alacant I was wondering what the future would be like without such a forum but as one door closes another nearly always opens and here we are.

Well what have you planned for this year I wonder?

I only have, so far, one trip booked for GA but soon I will be on the Ryanair web site searching for a bargain or two. So far one booked for the week after next.

Then I have booked the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao for another motorbike ride though Northern Spain  taking in the Picos de Europa and on through Portugal and then on to the mountains of  Sierra Nevada  before crossing Spain near Madrid to catch the ferry home. Ben who rides with me is currently in Cambodia on an Extreme off road endurance ride through their jungles. They sleep rough under the stars and usually out of the twenty riders that start the adventure only half a dozen actual get to the end.

Unfortunately I do not have the skills or stamina (maybe the lack of intelligence) to risk such a ride but I still get a real sense of adventure when we bike it to main land Europe.

Take a look Facebook as Ben has recently posted some photos from Cambodia. Either Derek Hollis or Benjamin Kingshott.

https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.kingshott?pnref=story

Leave getting old to others as I am told it can be boring.8)

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 14:47. »
Hi Derek

I have booked a Ryanair flight for this month - 23rd until 26th.  It was £37.50 return!!!  Too good to turn down.  We have flights booked for then, Easter and August and are hoping to come over again in October but the flights arent out yet.  My year also includes a trip to Abu Dhabi in Feb and Portugal in April so lots of exciting things ahead for me.   
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 16:38. »
That was a bargain puddy-woo, we are coming out on Saturday for a couple of weeks...........as you with Ryanair............PriorityQ and less than £100 for us both return...........bargain!!

We also booked an O'Leary bargain to fly out in early May for a four weeks stay............again with PriorityQ and less than £100 for us both return

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 16:59. »
Hi

Many knock Ryanair but their planes are clean and modern and the staff are good. They offer great value on a short flight. I have just booked another flight for end April and back during May for under £120.00 for the two of us.

Derek

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 17:16. »
I'm a big supporter of them Derek, read and play by the rules and there is nothing to complain about.

I guess like you we are not tied down to a specific date to travel...........I look at all the local airports, check the flight times (we dont like the early morning ones) and then check the prices...........Ryanair comes out with the lowest prices every time.

I think even if you dont use them you should be thankful for the impact they have had on others prices............just as the Tescos/Morrisons/Sainsburys have had to react to the consumers benefit due to the Aldi/Lidll effect.

Regards all

John

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 17:18. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 23:36. »
Although we come over at the end of this month for a few days prior to flying Alicante/Tenerife for a fortnight (need sunshine).  Then it's another few days in GA before the return to Cornwall.  We tend to spend 2 long periods over there each year & only last night booked our (single) flights from Stansted in order to spend a little time with our son in London.
The point of this is that BOTH Ryanair & Easy jet offer really cheap deals if you:-
1.  Look early enough &
2.  Have flexibility in travel dates (easy when retired)
If anyone has doubts about the cost of air fares, compare with rail costs in the UK & give thanks!!!

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 00:24. »
Hi Mike, I know what you mean about rail fares!!
A friend got some tickets for the England Italy match at Twickenham on the 14th Feb and invited me down.
I decided to let the train take the strain and booked the ticket weeks ago, £73 return from North Yorkshire to Twickenham was the best I could get.......makes you realise what a bargain the flights can be

Regards all

John

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 00:36. »
Hi John,
Couple years ago we flew from New quay to Gatwick for England Ireland, & paid more in train fares (Gatwick to Twickenham, than we did on air fares.
We try to have an Autumn break each year before the return to UK.  Currently considering 5 or 6 days in Rome.  No rugby, but Judith hasn't been & they do seem to have direct flights from Alicante.  Did Krakow year before last, & thoroughly enjoyed it.  Last year 4 centre cultural thing in Turkey which again was good, but we had to come home to do that one.
I won't cruise after 24 years in the navy, & life's too short for long haul, so it does get difficult.
Good to see us GMs in agreement!!!!!!!!!
Regards

Offline Joan Simpson

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 14:11. »
We have already booked 4 visits to gran alacant this year and are looking forward to enjoying a glass of bubbly in the sun.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 10:57. »
I've booked the lot - the whole year in one (expensive) afternoon.

Average cost - over the 10 return flights was £119. Ranging from £95 for a Sat / Sat week in June to the faintly ridiculous  £242 at the end of May (Whit week) because I have to have that as its Plant shutdown.

You can see why parents take their kids out of school

Although I have been loyal to Monarch for years the Ryanair prices out of BHX and EMA are just so much cheaper they cant be ignored - plus they have a 17:00 out Friday with a 22:00 back on Sunday which was great for my weekends - I booked a few of those
BeachLife