Author Topic: Home Security Cameas  (Read 2793 times)

Offline martin

Home Security Cameas
« on: October 25, 2015, 23:15. »
Hi,
has anyone installed home security cameras which can be monitored remotely?

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks
Martin

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Home Security Cameas
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 10:57. »
I've gone into this and its all do-able if you are comfortable with a bit of IT work yourself.

If you are in the UK go to Maplins and they will sell you a IP (wireless) camera kit. Prices vary between £90 and £250 for the outdoor kits depending if you want it to be remotely "steerable" via the app on your phone and the camera resolution.

Secondly you need a decent broadband speed in your Spain house left on all the time  - and (this is important) you will need your wireless router to have a strong connection in your house to where your camera is located, plus of course you will need a power supply close to the camera point

A bit of a stumbling block for me was that as I wanted the camera on the roof and couldn't get a good signal through the house. If you purchase a IP Link "repeater (£20) you can extend the range by plugging it in on the landing which will then get the signal to the roof

To set the IP address up on the app on your phone you will need to bring a laptop over with you and plug into the camera.

Just a word of caution - dont point it towards anyone's house - I have heard of problems of privacy !

Hope that helps
BeachLife

Offline martin

Home Security Cameas
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 20:21. »
Thanks for that. Will give it a go.

Regards
Martin

Offline burchd

Home Security Cameas
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 13:29. »
I use this camera:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-monitoring-and-power/bt-smart-home-cam-100-home-security-camera-10001994-pdt.html?gclid=CKKnzcrg9sgCFYTnGwodGZECMA&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!75231531139!!!g!110898017540!&ef_id=VjjkWQAAAcluHRdi:20151104122031:s

I have this in the UK,it is not  an external camera.
The set up is via  an ipad,iphone etc,and does not need configuring.
You download the BT Home Cam app and its very easy to set up.
I am not sure what speed the internet connection needs to be to stream the pictures.
I have found the picture quality to be be excellent and you are alerted when the camera is activated.

Offline Gazzaspain

Home Security Cameas
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 15:00. »
If you wish to view the IP camera over the internet is a bit more complicated than viewing from the same wireless network,
http://www.tp-link.us/faq-304.html, gives an idea of the setting you will need to make to your router,
The WAN ip address will be the stumbling bloc, you will either need a "static" address so your routers Internet address doesn't change or use a DDNS service (again your router needs to support this) to keep track of the latest IP address your router is assigned, there are a number of "free" DDNS services so not adding to cost just complexity.

you will find that unless you have specifically asked for a Static address (and possibly pay extra per month) you routers internet IP address will change on a regular basis,
its also a good practice to "reserve" the internal IP address allocated by the router to the IP camera as you will be using that to "port forward" to.
Gary
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 15:34. by Gazzaspain »

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Home Security Cameas
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 16:52. »
I didnt go into this in my earlier post - but if you have GATV broadband they have disabled the WPS button on the routers they used - probably to save on bandwidth issues. You cant use the stock router to link to other devices
BeachLife

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Home Security Cameas
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 19:08. »
Martin as someone who works in the security industry,the first and main question is what are you hoping to achieve with your cctv.The answer should then dictate what system is best for you.Do you want overt or covert cameras,is it purely a preventative measure or you actually trying to identify somebody
They dont like it up em !

Offline martin

Home Security Cameas
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 20:15. »
Thanks for replies....purely for preventative purposes.