Author Topic: New Market  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Luton town

New Market
« on: January 21, 2015, 20:39. »
Ok you might think I'm lighting a blue touch paper ...but how is the new Market doing ? are people turning up in numbers to warrant the expenditure ?
Luton

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
New Market
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 21:58. »
I don't think we will know till later in the year Ian.......it's very very quiet here at the moment, for instance I haven't seen more than two checkouts open in Mercadona and then there was no queue.
It's good to see the site being used once every three weeks for a Sunday car boot.
We are having a wander round in the morning I'll post my first impressions

Regards all

John

PS we drove down the 332 today, the normally packed market at La Mata looked about as well visited as a pork pie shop in Jerusalem
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Joe1965

New Market
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 00:24. »
Hi John ,

Please take some pics of the market as I've not seen it yet. New Year's day it wasn't on.

And if you're doing impressions do you do requests ?

;-)

Offline Luton town

New Market
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54. »
Hi John ...thanks for the reply ....I know we do not see eye to eye on the subject but now it's paid for I would like to see it work .
Luton

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
New Market
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:19. »
Hi Ian,
Don't know how the new market site is doing, but if it has uses for car boot, there may be other activities as well.  (GA Fiesta - surely bigger than the library car park?)
Plus I remember watching brave healthy souls struggling down Maxcoop hill with heavy bags of fruit & veg on a Thursday.  Some enterprising taxi driver might decide there's business to provide a legal & dedicated service to the people of GA, especially on market days, so could benefit us all.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
New Market
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 14:46. »
We went up to the market at around 10am this morning........it was cold and a bit windy!!

As we approached we both thought it looked more like a car boot sale than a market........possibly because it was so windy most of the stall holders hadnt put the "top awnings" on their stalls.

The car parking on site was great.

Lots of stall holders I presume had given it a miss as there where whole areas with no stalls and then others dotted around on their pitches.

As the Mrs said, "its a market......nothing to get excited about"

We then went on to Mercadona...........only one checkout open with no queue and bought some excellent fruit and veg at a lower price than that displayed on the market.

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 14:53. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

granalacant

New Market
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 18:00. »
authentic quote by the owner of Mercadona (mr Roig):

There is something in Mercadona we are doing very wrong. Mind you, sales are put etc. etc. But anywhere I go to any of our shops, I see around it a multitude of shops with fruit and vegetables. They attract us, and customers prefer to buy there rather than with us. I am still trying to figure out the why and how.

One reason might be quality, another price, another service, another that most of Mercadona's stuff comes from Morocco?

Offline Coventry

New Market
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 16:37. »
I went up after the market last week and they were making strenuous efforts to clean up - by the evening there was not a single piece of litter to be seen.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
New Market
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 00:33. »
Ive never seen the attraction of this type of market and rarely visited the last one,  but i do hope that it will be a huge success that will benefit GA and bring in extra revenue to the area. It may even get spoke about up and down the coast as the place to go who knows.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Luton town

New Market
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 20:40. »
Hi Victor ...truth be known I have no interest in street markets either.....my joy comes from those quality me times when the ladies make their weekly pilgrimage to the market leaving me to peace and quite !!!
Now it's been moved out of town they have decided it's too far in the August sun to trapse or to catch a bus .....bugger !!
Luton