Author Topic: When do use your air conditioning?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
When do use your air conditioning?
« on: January 19, 2015, 22:14. »
Got to say when we had air con installed I thought it would be a Summer only benefit to us, how wrong can you get.
We use it far far more in the Winter to keep the house warm, I've got to say it beats any fan heater I've ever known for warming a room up and then maintaining a comfortable temperature.
When we first bought the house we had Carrier units put in, when the one in the lounge failed a few years ago Eric Stein put a Panasonic Inverter unit in for us, I must say it's superb and far superior to the Carrier unit it replaced.

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 22:17. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline rickyrubes

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 22:10. »
John I totally agree we use ours so much more in the winter and what a nice fella Eric is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 23:23. »
John, do you have a contact number for Eric please? Our aircon could do with a service (at least), don't think it has been touched since the previous owner installed it, and would like to organise it for our next trip over.

Thanks,

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:59. »
Hi Michael, here you are.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline denandrose

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:03. »
Hi Michael.
We would also highly recommend Erik, he services all 3 of our units and also moved one from the doorway to the solarium, he is very efficient and his costs are reasonable.
In answer to when do you use air con, very much in winter as we all know the heat goes straight out the walls, doors and windows, literally !
In summer also use it a good bit at night as we cannot sleep in the heat.

Offline Gazzaspain

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:34. »
Hi all at the new forum  8)

We use the AC in the summer on the timer for 30 mins before we go to bed and possibly during the night if its really hot,
we have the shutters & window open enough to get a breeze and this stops any dry throat issues prolonged AC use can cause.

In the winter (if we do come over), we use it to take the chill off and then a halogen fire in he sitting room, if its too cold its always a good excuse to go out for the evening (not that I need an excuse ;) )

Gary

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 19:06. »
Thanks for the number John.

Hi Rose, thanks for the recommendation, I'll make contact with Eric once I know when we will be coming out again - and will let you know too, of course :-)

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:08. »
Like you John, tend to use ours in the winter (this Sunday they go on as soon as we arrive).  The summer is very occasional use only.

Offline Philndeb

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24. »
What is the average cost per month of using the aircon 3-4 hours a day?.

Offline tony and lesley

• paradise is GA
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12. »
Hi John

Only use our air con in summer as we have natural gas central heating for those cool winter nights.

Its unfortunate that not all communities have the choice .

Cost of running gas is very commpetative and subsidised by our wonderful government hand out

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 15:23. »
Hi Philndeb, see http://www.crownpower.com.au/blog/ducted-air-conditioning/advantages-of-an-air-conditioner-vs-electric-heater

I have allways ben led to belive as this article states that using your air conditioning is a very efficient way of heating your house.

Before we had the air con installed we used a few convector heaters............it was like a military operation when we were cooking or using the kettle going round the house turning things off............now there is no problem as the trip switch on the electric doesnt go off, to me, not being a sparky, indicative of the fact that it is not drawing as much power

Hope this helps

Regards all

John

Offline Philndeb

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 17:24. »
Thanks for that.