Author Topic: International driving permit  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
International driving permit
« on: May 24, 2021, 11:07. »
Do we now need an international driving permit for a hire car in Spain?

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 15:07. »
What seems an easy question to answer is anything but. The GOV.UK website only advises that you don't need one if your driving your own car. If your hiring you should see the company's T&Cs. 

My car hire company's (Centauro) T&Cs are below: - 64.2 Says you need a license issued in your home country, 64.3 says you may need a IDP depending on the provider!! but in this case Centauro are the provider.

Ambiguous or what. Hope someone can clarify; my own feeling is that you don't need an IDP but the one I got last year in anticipation of Brexit is valid to this September so I'm covered anyway.

PICKING UP THE CAR64. The Renter must present the following documents when picking up the car:64.1. printed or electronic Voucher (depending on the car rental provider’s requirements);64.2. valid driver's license from the Renter’s country of origin. It must be valid in the country where the car is being rented;64.3. International Driving Permit. This may be required by some car rental providers as a supplement to the regular driver’s license;
64.4. a valid passport or valid ID card (if accepted by the car rental provider);64.5. a valid credit card in the same name and surname as the driver's license of the main driver with enough available funds to cover the security deposit;64.6. other documents required by the car rental provider and mentioned in the Voucher.65. The Company shall not refund any sum paid and assumes no responsibility if the car rental provider refuses to provide the car to a Renter in any of the following circumstances

Offline Blades

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 15:24. »
Hi Spurs.

Good result for you yesterday!!

According to Gov.uk   'You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months.'

Strange if its different for hire cars, but will be interested in the responses.

I'm also interested in whether one is needed to drive through France. I have an old style paper licence, and Gov.uk says to check with French Embassy.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 15:44. »
According to Which? you just need your UK license - but if driving your own car over from the UK, additional documents are needed

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/international-driving-permits-aiJ0R6k9Gf4B?&source_code=911DBJ&gclid=Cj0KCQjwna2FBhDPARIsACAEc_Xx3nIt_ZUG3c8uApdO7rij3SeER_pAb2v-Z_R00K22RJ83J1wbJHoaAikkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think I would still be inclined to check directly with the hire company before going in case things change suddenly.

Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 15:48. »
Yes that exactly why I asked the government websites the AA the RAC all say no you don’t but Centauro GoldCar Firefly all say you do. Thin’ I’m gonna get one anyway

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 15:52. »
Hi Spurs.

Good result for you yesterday!!

According to Gov.uk   'You do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months.'

Strange if its different for hire cars, but will be interested in the responses.

I'm also interested in whether one is needed to drive through France. I have an old style paper licence, and Gov.uk says to check with French Embassy.

Yes it was a good game.
I can answer your query as I did come across that case today. You actually need 2 permits an 1968for France and 1949 for Spain . All paper (non photo licences need one )

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 16:36. »
Do we now need an international driving permit for a hire car in Spain?

We used Centuro recently as our favoured rental company at ALC, whilst I do have an IDP it wasn’t asked for, that may be because my details are on file, also i do this quick check out where before you leave the uk all boxes are ticked. It could also be the case that the lady wasn’t in the slightest bit interested either way. The idp is only a fiver so not worth fretting over.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 17:12. »
Yep I’m gonna get one but I was surprised to see so much conflicting information

Offline Keith and Jen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 07:33. »
I understood that one needed different IDPs for France and Spain.

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 12:22. »
I think I’ve got to the bottom of it now . It appears after E Mailing a couple of car hire firms in Alicante that you do need an IDP for a hire car , but apparently not for your own car. Been and got mine this morning £5.50 for a year  plus a passport photo You need the type 1949 for Spain

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 13:22. »
Thanks Spurs,

I must tell my next door neighbour, he is going out on 6th June and may not be aware of this.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 15:29. »
As far as I can see on official sites there is no requirement for a UK resident to obtain an IDP whilst driving as a visitor in the EU, as long as you have the pink licence. The car hire companies rules are for every hirer irrespective of  whether they are from the uk or Ukraine. That is why when I produced my uk licence no IDP was requested or maybe she couldn’t be blessed either way at £5.50 not worth fretting.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 16:53. »
As far as I can see on official sites there is no requirement for a UK resident to obtain an IDP whilst driving as a visitor in the EU, as long as you have the pink licence. The car hire companies rules are for every hirer irrespective of  whether they are from the uk or Ukraine. That is why when I produced my uk licence no IDP was requested or maybe she couldn’t be blessed either way at £5.50 not worth fretting.

You are probably right Wilson but I emailed them and they said anyone from outside EU needs one their booking confirmations all say it’s needed.

The law however says you don’t need it , so maybe it’s just one of their rules , I would hate to see them wriggle out of an insurance damage claim because someone was unaware