Author Topic: Want to travel in 2021 - you'll need .........  (Read 3190 times)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Want to travel in 2021 - you'll need .........
« on: November 24, 2020, 22:39. »
..... proof of having had a vaccination for COVID.

Sorry, that was a bit of "click-bait" - but today the Chief Executive of Qantas has said that "once a Covid 19 vaccine is readily available, proof that travelers have had the jab will be a non negotiable condition of flight.

Wonder when that will filter down to Ryanair and Spain ?

Mind you with the need for a (private) PCR test on the way to Spain and then - if you only want to quarantine for 7 instead of 14 days upon return another (private) PCR test adding about £280 per person for a return flight. There will only be a few hardy souls flying and business are going to have no chance this new year onwards

Good job the flights in Jan from BHX are now on £47 rtn
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 22:43. by BeachLife »
BeachLife

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 22:46. »
I think that many businesses that need customers to regain confidence will only accept vaccinated customers going forward.Whether that is an airline, cruise ship or a theatre. Whilst a test gives some confidence its like a car mot as in only good for that day. I personally would be happy to sit on a full flight with vaccinated people. Unfortunately the non vaccinated may find themselves social pariahs in the years ahead with businesses not wishing to risk dealing with them and the concerns that others would have knowing they were sat amongst them.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 09:02. »
Very interesting...but how will you be able to prove it? A hologram/biometric card? Issued by who... and using what funds let alone what expertise!

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 13:21. »
You'll probably prove it the same way as they check for locator forms at Alicante - with a quick scan of your phone.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 13:46. »
B&W - you are right.

My neighbor who works in the Logistics side of the NHS says that there are talks ongoing about using the already established NHS tracking app that lots of people have. So that when you are vaccinated you will get a QR code that proves you have had it done. This is scannable by airlines down to restaurants etc to prove you have it.

Hope that's the case. Its no big deal then for me and my family for sure. We all have the app (even my 86 yo mum) on the phones so would be a natural progression. If you think about it - it would only be neeeded for a year or so as hopefully once we get past the magic 70% vaccinated (or have immunity from having it) we can take our foot of the gas as the virus will die out naturally.

I wonder what all the nutty "anti-vax ers" will do ? put themselves in bubble wrap and isolate for the rest of their days. 
BeachLife

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 14:48. »
Apparently the covid vaccines dont stop you catching the virus, but simply fight it once caught giving you protection from the nasty part. Theres a good possibility that vaccinated people will unknowingly spread it more as restrictions reduce. Therefore any non vaccinated person is going to at even greater risk going forward. The gold standard of vaccines is the sterilising type where the virus cant even get an initial toe hold so dies straight away. As for future checking on who is or not, all the technology is already used. Anyone travelling into the USA for example has given all the personal info prior for checking, then on arrival fingerprint and retinal scans, im sure a green vaccination tick shouldnt be to challenging to add.

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 12:42. »
ok, get it but if you don't have an iphone or app can you get a hard copy to show u have had the jab ?
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 16:53. »
Having ploughed through every available web-site on the matter I have found nothing to suggest a hard copy won't be acceptable.

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 16:56. »
Also on the Spanish locator form you have to tick whether you have had the test or not. Saying you have when you haven't could result in a 6000 euro fine.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 17:43. by Blue and white stripes »

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 12:56. »
Just found this. reported in my paper yesterday. Interesting it's being developed by IATA and the British airways group.

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-11-23-01/

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 21:54. »
http://news.sky.com/story/easyjet-to-charge-for-overhead-luggage-to-improve-boarding-and-punctuality-12148127

To improve boarding and punctuality; and the accounts bottom line. Mr O'Leary missing a trick perhaps

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 09:28. »
Can anyone give any insight (particularly beachlife who has the neighbour in logistics and info about possible QR code) about what may happen for travel for those who are unable to have the vaccine because of being immune compromised. I have a grandson with Chrons disease (who would not get on a plane at the moment anyway and has hardly been anywhere since this began) and while there are trials with Astra Zeneca currently underway for a different method of treatment for those who are immune compromised, I wonder what will happen to him and many others if the QR code showing immunisation becomes the go to tool for access not only to travel but other areas too

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:43. »
Hi Sunseeker.

As I said its just a proposal at the moment. Obviously the vaccine records are held by the NHS and as there is understandably to stigmatize those that have not been vaccinated or declined the offer. The point of this thread was that certain airlines - in the is case Quantas are considering only flying those who have been vaccinated into Australia. I would think it highly unlikely that a vaccine passport would be necessary but as I said there is technology there now to produce a QR code from your NHS records showing that you have been vaccinated (or not)

There a are a lot of conspiracy theorists, flat earthers and COVID deniers that will point blank refuse to have the vaccine  - but hey its a free country. As a discussion point should they in the future be allowed to travel to areas that are COVID free ? 

It will be interesting times ahead for sure

footnote:

for Sunseeker regarding people with compromised immune systems due to illness or treatments

Can immunocompromised get Covid vaccines?

The risks and benefits for immunocompromised patients receiving a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine should be weighed on a case-by-case basis, with consideration of the incidence of infection in the community. This will depend on the approved vaccine formulation available, level of immunosuppression the patient has received

hematology.org
BeachLife

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 18:18. »
From El Pais today.......................if all goes well with the Brexit negotiations the testing requirements to enter the mainland will be relaxed slightly with the choice of a TMA test or a PCR test.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-12-10/spain-changes-coronavirus-test-requirements-for-air-travelers-exempts-children-under-six.html

Also from today the Canaries will accept an antigen test rather than the PCR test

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-12-10/spains-canary-islands-will-let-foreign-visitors-enter-with-an-antigen-test.html

All this testing is testing my patience.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 21:45. »
I heard the same Dave - but a Google search around me in Warwickshire drew a blank for getting a private Rapid Antigen Test.

Stuck with these sort of prices at the moment - very expensive.

https://midlandhealth.co.uk/tests-and-diagnostics/covid-19/

BeachLife