Author Topic: Maykas Spanish Restaurant  (Read 9775 times)

Offline lesandtony

Maykas Spanish Restaurant
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 16:06. »
It will be a similar menu with Galician food.  Using Mayka type recipes
Mayka will be back next year .

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 16:58. »
We've seen plenty of restaurants struggle and fold, but in fairness no-one has tried Mayka's unique approach of closing all Summer and re-opening for the winter. Genius? Time will tell!

It reminds me on "Pan y Mas" about fifteen years ago. They had the entire breakfast market sewn up in upper GA. Then a competitor started down the road, exact same business model. The owners of Pan Y Mas took this as an ideal opportunity to take a three month holiday. When they came back they were bust before the year was out.

Offline euroland

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 13:17. »
She has had family problems that’s why she closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 13:46. »
...I hope they weren't financially related problems.

Offline euroland

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 15:20. »
No serious family problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 17:24. »
I was up on the top level last weekend - definitely being prepared for a re-opening and as mentioned seems to be no plans to change the name
BeachLife

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 10:08. »
Anyone who has been to reopened Maykas advise what's it like, is food the same etc

Offline lesandtony

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 13:20. »
Yeah

It's more or less the same menu. Mostly Spanish clients.

Had a meal for 2 off the menu 28 euros with bottle of wine . Very tasty.

Think it will do well when it gets warmer and English improves. 

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 16:41. »
Thanks, will go when over for New Year. Always liked the food so hopefully will keep going.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2019, 17:28. »
Yeah

It's more or less the same menu. Mostly Spanish clients.

Had a meal for 2 off the menu 28 euros with bottle of wine . Very tasty.

Think it will do well when it gets warmer and English improves.

Oh no surely not Spanish customers in a Spanish restaurant in Spain how dare they, such arrogant behaviour. And they dont speak much English either. Little Britain's no wonder weve got a bad name abroad

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2019, 18:27. »
Oh no surely not Spanish customers in a Spanish restaurant in Spain how dare they, such arrogant behaviour. And they dont speak much English either. Little Britain's no wonder weve got a bad name abroad

Quite! My kind of restaurant, local cuisine and (importantly) local language which can only help me with my fairly poor level of Soanish, which I always make the effort to use when I can. Look forward to it when next out there.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 20:36. »
We went about a week after opening and were quite unimpressed with the food; maybe just a bad choice. Surroundings are the same and staff very attentive though. I'm not a restaurant critic as it's too subjective and I hope they do well.
All we need now are tenants for El Chubut - for sale, El Texicano - supposedly closed for vacations since September but the rumour mill says otherwise  and Miley O'Rourkes - deserted for the last three weeks then we will be back up to strength on the strip.
Dave

Offline Occasional tourist

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2019, 20:47. »
We went about a week after opening and were quite unimpressed with the food; maybe just a bad choice. Surroundings are the same and staff very attentive though. I'm not a restaurant critic as it's too subjective and I hope they do well.
All we need now are tenants for El Chubut - for sale, El Texicano - supposedly closed for vacations since September but the rumour mill says otherwise  and Miley O'Rourkes - deserted for the last three weeks then we will be back up to strength on the strip.
Dave

You forgot Lizard Lounge, up for sale, normally deserted!

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 18:43. »
Went from very New Year period and had some Tapas, very nice with large portions. Also gave us the usual free tapa first with our drink, lovely toasted bread with alioli.
The lady in charge who told us she has now bought the restaurant was very friendly and spoke good English, certainly far better than our Spanish!

Offline masmu

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 20:01. »
It would be great to see the Carabassi up to full strength again.

Must say I am not surprised that O'Rourkes is deserted.  Last time we were over we went there and sat, and sat, and sat waiting for someone to come out and serve us.  The first time it happened I went inside and the barman was busy watching the tv and I almost apologised for disturbing him.  The other times we just left as did a few other thirsty people.  Strange strange way to do business.