Author Topic: Grille Refurbishment  (Read 2080 times)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Grille Refurbishment
« on: January 17, 2015, 11:20. »
Well after 9 years and numerous coats of white "hammerite" my Iron Art (remember them?) Grilles need a complete strip and recoat.

Any recommendations ?

I was going to have a go at the smaller ones myself but I guess the only way to get the securing bolts out is with a a angle grinder ?
BeachLife

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Grille Refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 13:04. »
Hi Rich,

You may remember this discussion on the old forum a while back:

http://www.granalacantplaza.eu/forum/showthread.php?73252-Sandblasting-amp-powder-coating-grills&highlight=powder+coating

Opinions varied, but the bottom line is that a properly done powder coating job will last a lot longer than any diy wet paint job and be a lot less hassle. The initial outlay may be higher but I suppose it all depends on whether you would prefer to have it done once and for all or alternatively spend part of your holiday every few years doing them again.

I may be biased of course - my wife owns and runs a powder coating plant - www.gksystems.co.uk

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Grille Refurbishment
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 21:49. »
Rich like you ive been painting my grilles for year's but feel they now need a professional result, i did get a quote last year for removal and powder coated but the price was a bit steep, not the fault of the firm as there's a lot of work involved. I have a question just how necessary are security grilles i know back in the early days we all had them straight away to stop burglars etc but did we actually need them then or now in 2015, GA isnt actually a crime hotspot because the brickwork is so poor on most houses that a good whack with a sledge hammer and the grille would fall out.
They dont like it up em !

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Grille Refurbishment
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 22:52. »
Hi Victor

I'm sort of with you on this Victor

My Spanish neighbour has never had them fitted and has had no problems over the times we have had our house.

I can remember when we bought the house and the word on the streets was were were going to be houses ransacked and killed in our beds if the grilles werent on !  That first night in 2006 was traumatic !

The ground floor window and main door need them so that you can have your door and window open along with the roof solarium door - but the others ? The would be burgler needs rope and ladders to get in.

Has anyone removed a grille to paint it out of the window aperture ?  I dont think you can get the blanking insert out of the securing bolts ?
BeachLife

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Grille Refurbishment
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:08. »
Hi Rich,
Mine certainly were installed "never to be removed"/burglar proof.  As you say, you'd need an angle grinder to take them out.
It's no comfort, but we've done fiddly bits of touching up over 5 years, & although they don't look pristine, at least they're free of rust.
The upstairs ones are the real b#######!!!
If you think about it, a certain administrator has never had them (only shutters), & his house now is unoccupied without being broken into.
It's about how comfy you would feel if you did away with them.
All the best,
Mike

Offline curly131

Grille Refurbishment
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50. »
Regarding removing grills for painting/ powder coating,I'm not sure if there is a star plug removal tool so that you can get the allen/star key into the bolts but I developed my own method for getting them out.
The plugs are quite soft so easy to drill. Drill a hole about 5 mm deep in the centre of the plug, small enough so it doesn't damage the bolt and deep enough to full y go through the plug.
Then screw an appropriately sized self tapping screw in the hole. As the screw goes through the plug it will hit the bolt and by turning further the pressure of the screw tip on the bolt pushes the plug out. If it doesnt push it all the way out there will be enough of the plug showing to get the pliers on it.
Finally if you struggle to turn the bolt ( the installers didn't intend them to come out again) you can get a 1/4" to hexagon adaptor so that you can use a socket wrench with a star driver to get more torque on the bolt.
Hope that helps.
Ian