Author Topic: Safety of cats.  (Read 927 times)

Offline Kim Watts

Safety of cats.
« on: March 12, 2017, 18:22. »
Hi
I Wondered if anybody could clarify a couple of points for me regarding the safety and well being of cats.
My partner and I will be moving to Gran Alicant in September and have mixed feelings on the best way forward for both our much loved three year old cats. We recently received a copy of the local Gran Alicant monthly news booklet, and alarmingly it raises points of increased lethal poisoning to cats obviously having an impact on not only Ferrell cats but household pets too. We have also looked in to travel with the cats and would like to take them in cages and in the cabin with us, and there does appear to be some airlines that allow this but wondered if anybody had actually put this in to practice and could advise us if this still has a very stressful impact on the animal itself i.e. noise and confusion. We asked a couple of people we met on a recent flight back to the UK and they had a bad experience with their own animal dyeing of stress a couple of weeks after the flight which we really couldn't put them through. Then there's the adaptation to the heat from the dismal weather we have in the UK, and could they cope.
We do have the option of leaving them with family in the UK but would much rather take them with us as I'm sure all other animal lovers can appreciate.
Any good recommendations on local vets would be appreciated, as well as any feedback back helping us on making a decision on what's best for our cats.
Kind Regards
Kim and Russell.

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Safety of cats.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 21:10. »
Hi, Kim and Russell
There are a few stray cats around us and i have also heard of some of them being poisoned. I know there are people here that feed the strays too but in my own opinion if they really cared for the cats they feed they would take them home with them or at the very least take them to a vet to be neutered so they dont have to go through cycles of kittens some who will die and others who will remain on the streets, scavenging and with no medical treatment even if they have fleas or illness.
If you let your cats out they could be mixing with these cats who may harbour diseases etc. I am trying not to be negative but if i had cats i wouldnt want them running around with the strays and cats don't generally live indoors all the time. I dont really know
 what the answer would be for a cat owner.
On a more positive note we brought our dog out with us last year. We decided to fly with Thompsons who do animal transport, its expensive but was straightforward for us and was also the lesser of two evils, we thought a couple of hours before the flight and a few hours on the plane was preferable to being driven over and being in a cage for days.  I hope this helps and good luck. Hazel

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Safety of cats.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 21:23. »
Sorry, forgot to also say, their pet transport is in the hold, they told me it was low lit and heated, and they checked in him when we boarded and told us that all was well. He was quiet when we picked him up and didnt seem to suffer any stress, think he was just looking around wondering what was going in.
Hazel

Offline Kim Watts

Safety of cats.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 18:25. »
Sorry, forgot to also say, their pet transport is in the hold, they told me it was low lit and heated, and they checked in him when we boarded and told us that all was well. He was quiet when we picked him up and didnt seem to suffer any stress, think he was just looking around wondering what was going in.
Hazel
Hi Hazel

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Regards
Kim and Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk