Author Topic: Cheap flights  (Read 891 times)

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Cheap flights
« on: January 04, 2017, 11:29. »
Hello all
Its that time of year again to start thinking of our summer holiday.
I am as always trying to get the cheapest flights in the "big 6 weeks"
I have just watched Simon Calder saying try flying one way to different airpots.
So a quick look on sky scanner confirmed a big saving.....
Cheapest BHX to ALC return £175 x 6 =£1050
Same dates BHX to ALC one way £50
then MAD to BHX one way £42 =£92 x 6 = £552
The train is about £15-£20 each plus a day in Madrid.....sound like a plan to me  :)
Phillip

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Cheap flights
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 13:47. »
The notion of cheap flights - particularly out of the midlands has pre-occupied me for years.

BHX is favourite as I live in Coventry but EMA is equally do-able with a extra 20 minute drive. As we are both working full time the controlling factor for me is flight times - its really key to make the most of my days off.

So what do we all think about the book early / book late idea ? I have generally booked early and not lost out (ever) around school holiday times, but I've certainly thrown money away on some out of season weekends where they have gone down by as much as 50% a couple of months after release.

Trouble with BHX is that there is no late (post work 17:00) flights on a Friday the EMA one is fine outbound but the return landing (if ontime) is 23:45 which is a brrutal as by the time I get home after getting through there poor -mandatory bus and slow securtity it 01:30 usually

Not many of you remember CVT Thompsonfly to Alicante 16:30 on a Friday and 20:30 back on a Sunday - perfect fro the weekends and always about £80 - I commuted weekely on that one summer !

What I do now is put lots and lots of saved searches in Skyscanner and look out for the right prices
BeachLife

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Cheap flights
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 13:55. »
Some bargains at the moment  :)

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Cheap flights
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 15:18. »
Back in the good old days we also did the weekend trip out of coventry, spend sat and sunday in the sun for less than £100 all in, what a bargain alas no more.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Cheap flights
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 15:28. »
We lived just down the road in Brinklow, if I couldnt get a lift to the airport the taxl used to cost me £7.50
Another bonus was the lack of shops for the Mrs ;-)
We mainly use Leeds/Bradford now we are back in Yorkshire, luckily the Brother-in-Law lives in Otley, we leave our car at his house and he gives us a lift to the airport and back, saves a few hundred quid a year on parking at the airport.
BHX and EMA could learn a lesson from Leeds/Bradford in how quickly they you get through immigration and luggage reclaim.

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Cheap flights
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 17:17. »
We are the same as you Rich. Like to get flights that give you the maximum time out there.  We always have booked early for our August holiday and have always done right by doing so. Weekends  away are usually not planned until the last moment and then we compare Ryanair Stansted and Easyjet Southend. Ryanair Stansted more often being the cheapest although we prefer Southend but for our next cheeky little weekend away next Friday we got great flight times from Southend departing 7 am and returning pm £55 return inc pre-booked seats. Never pay for parking as park in a street by a long wall where we are not being intrusive. All good and cant wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II