Author Topic: Window panes  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
Window panes
« on: December 07, 2016, 09:13. »
Does anyone know of a company who can change two single window panes to double ones, thanks.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38. »
These guys are brilliant
Did some double glazing for us, very reliable, they make it all in house and are a lovely family
Use with confidence
http://aluminiosbrinas.com/phone/servicios.html

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
Window panes
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 16:17. »
Many thanks John.

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 17:16. »
Yes definitely Jose at Brinas!

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 17:55. »
This conversation has me thinking again about replacing windows on the house with "proper" double glazing.

What does the forum think ?

When we bought our houses 10 years ago we were convinced (probably by the grille sales people) that we would be instantly burgled if we didnt have them fitted.

Now, I think decent standard double glazing with proper security locks is just as secure and the house would look so much better without grilles - what do we think ?

We dont need or use grilles in the UK .......

BeachLife

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 20:16. »
Don't think I would pay for double glazing you only need it for a few weeks of the year on the locks front I fitted patio door locks on all my windows and patio doors with self tapping screws .when they are looked you can't move the at all . The only way in would be to smash the glass and they could do that to any double glazed or toughened etc with a centre punch .

I have grills as well and they may well be overkill but I suspect they act as a deterrent although that would only move a dedicated thief on to an easier property

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 23:42. »
From my experience in the security industry i would asess most GA properties as pretty poor. Firstly the grilles are all show with no substance, the weak link being the security bolts which can easily be removed in seconds or the brickwork that its secured to which has little structural strength.Secondly all front doors have super reinforced multi point locking systems, sadly the euro lock can be got round in less than 5 seconds.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Maricia

Window panes
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 16:45. »
From my experience in the security industry i would asess most GA properties as pretty poor. Firstly the grilles are all show with no substance, the weak link being the security bolts which can easily be removed in seconds or the brickwork that its secured to which has little structural strength.Secondly all front doors have super reinforced multi point locking systems, sadly the euro lock can be got round in less than 5 seconds.

Interesting....we had a grill removed and it took around an hour to remove one grill with an angle grinder!

BW

Maricia

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 17:26. »
I reckon there's a difference Maricia in taking one out neatly and protecting the structure it's fastened to and taking a jemmy and just forcing it out.
Mindst you, how many "forced entries" do we have in GA, it's mostly opportunists nipping in through an open/unlocked door.
Back to the "double glazing" discussion, all our windows are double glazed, Lord knows why, it's a bit like putting an Elastoplast on a colander

Regards all

John 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 18:41. »
Succinct analogy, John!

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
Window panes
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 09:13. »
In that case John I may as well save the money  ;D

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 09:54. »
Hi Gemstone, the builders, TM, built the house fully double glazed, so everything we have done, glazing in the laundry room, glazing the big bedroom balcony I've done the same
Negative points, the big ones are a dead weight to lift out to clean them, they are very heavy. Make no financial sense re energy saving.
Positive points, do retain some heat in the winter months, keep the heat out in the summer months, definitely help with sound reduction.

Regards all

John

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
Window panes
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 10:06. »
The whole house has double glazing except for some reason two windows in the living room so I dont suppose its worth changing them, I do agree about the double glazed ones being being very heavy to take out to clean, hubby keeps saying ' I'll do it tomorrow '  ;) but when he finally does them it always rains with red mud the next day    ::)

Offline Maricia

Window panes
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 10:23. »
A few neighbours have had windows fitted similar to UK style that open inwards so easy to clean.
BW
Maricia

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
Window panes
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 15:21. »
Jose @ Brinas can also supply tilt and open type windows which as Maricia says are easy to clean and also have a 'handle type' fixing making them more secure.