Author Topic: Longer trip report  (Read 2958 times)

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« on: November 14, 2016, 17:46. »
Time for us to head towards central heating & a house with insulation & carpets.
Yesterday was our last swim in the sea which is now decidedly colder, & long trousers, jumpers, coats are the daily apparel.  Still pleasant enough during the middle of the day, but the contrast at night makes things seem colder.
The shops here are full of Christmas goodies & decorations, but where can you buy marron glace?
Place has gone much quieter (went for lunch at La Cova in Campello) it was closed as we're a lot of other restaurants.
Think things are slowly improving with the local economy - don't seem to be so many locals who are unemployed, which is obviously good news.
Met up with an ex-teaching colleague of Judith's today after 40 years.  The wonders of Facebook!
Lots of farewell meals for 2016 to come before the welcome home meals.
Planned a different route to drive back.  Difficult as our years with the camper van have taken us all over Spain.  It's Almagro with Cuiidad Real, 2 nights in Caceres, 2 in Valladolid, Vitoria, & a final night in Bilbao.  We're doing the lot - a Parador, the normal hotels, & our first ever Air bnb.
Have enjoyed the year, but it seems to have flown by.
Looking forward to next year's periods of sun in GA, as well as the next chapters in the more immediate future.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Longer trip report
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 18:41. »
Talk about going around the world for a shortcut!  :) Alicante to Bilbao via (almost) Portugal.

Looks to be an excellent tour, give my regards to Plascencia as you pass through - the Parador there is memorable if only for the underground car park!

If you have never been to Mérida (you probably have) it's well worth a look for the Roman ruins and not much of a detour from your planned route.

Enjoy!

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 19:36. »
Safe journey Mike.
Isn't La Cove always closed on a Monday? My memory tells me it is.
I hope The Bay's on best behaviour when you cross it.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:41. »
Can you not use camp sites or aires de camping car instead of all those hotels for your trip home?

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 18:33. »
Thanks John & Michael. 
Too old to rough it now Tony!
Now you mention it, John, you're right about La Cova, but it's closed for a couple weeks now.
Merida looks good, & we haven't been.  Food for thought if time allows.
Thanks both
Over & out.

Offline denandrose

Longer trip report
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 19:21. »
La Cova does close on Mondays normally, but if it's a holiday on the Monday, they open, but then close Tuesday.
Their yearly holiday is usually a couple of weeks early November.
Mike, you and Judith did look well wrapped up the other night when we saw you, it is much colder at night now .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 20:00. by denandrose »

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 06:41. »
Rough it? Most motorhomes are pretty palatial these, days what with en-suite facilities and central heating. Perhaps you need to upgrade to a Carthago or a Neismann & Bischoff. I think you can pick up the latter for a mere €150K.  ;)

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 10:21. »
Don't have the camper any more, Tony.  Miss it sometimes, & thoroughly enjoyed the years, but a more settled lifestyle now.

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 18:34. »
Thanks Michael - America was well worth the visit.
All going very well so far, touch wood for the rest.
Almagro, (& Ciudad Real) were enjoyable, Caceres is everything & more than expected.  The trouble with anything like this is you find out about other stuff as you go along, & don't then have the time to fit it all in.
Anybody been to Trujillo?  We haven't, we won't have he time to, & we regret it already.
That's life.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Longer trip report
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 18:44. »
Did an overnight in the Parador in Trujillo, converted convent, really good, has a nice square and castle, lots of interest, put it on the list for next time
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Longer trip report
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 19:23. »
Nearly there now.
America in my last post should have read Merida. 
Been a great trip. Managed quick flips around Palencia & Plasencia.  Valladolid was fine, but the cold started to set in.
Decided against relieving the 3rd world debt & stayed & ate in the Parador near Vitoria.  Wife loved it.
Drive through all the snow, & past the white fields to Bilbao where the Guggenheim has been ticked.
Ferry tomorrow afternoon, & a week on the wagon on from Friday, with as many pasties as I can fit in.
Adios Espana!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 19:42. by mike and judith »

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Longer trip report
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 22:34. »
Have a good trip on the high seas  :)
Mike and Jane Hopper