Author Topic: Madrid ...  (Read 1872 times)

granalacant

Madrid ...
« on: February 18, 2015, 16:48. »
Only a few hours away, and superb underground system (take the 10 trip bono for some 12 euros).

Specifically recommended:  Museo Naval - you find even info on the Spanish Admiral who on three occasions sank an English/Dutch fleet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Lizard_Point

Obviously, he did not get a statue even though he did keep his two arms   :-)

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Madrid ...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 17:17. »
There are 3 of the best art museums imaginable here, & the Palacio Real is a great visit too.  In fact there are over 20 museums that I'm aware of, so dig out the guide book, go to tourist information office, & decide your itinerary in advance.
The metro IS an efficient & cheap way to get around, but we always opt for the open top bus at the beginning of a visit to any new city.  You get your orientation along with the sights you'll miss underground, & the hop on hop off policy is really useful.
A tip.  We (foolishly, but necessarily) went there for a stay in August.  DON'T.
It was sweltering, & lots of restaurants were closed. 
Hope this invites some comment which the original post didn't seem to.
Not rising to the bait springs to mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Madrid ...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 18:58. »
We went in August a few years ago.  We drove from GA and yes it was really hot - couldn't sit at the top of the hop on/off bus but still had a great time. Cant remember having any problems finding places to eat though.  Defo worth a visit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

granalacant

Madrid ...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 19:06. »
who is talking about bait?
If someone can' t even tell the truth ....  Pobre pais  :-)

Situation in august for restaurants improved enormously over the years - 30 years ago it was difficult to find something open. The top restaurants still close in august, but I don t think you are interested in spending 150 euros in Lhardy or Zalacaín etc   :-)

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Madrid ...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 19:10. »
If memory serves me, the Museo Naval and the Prado are on the same avenue, both well worth a visit as is the Palacio Real. It's a big city, you could spend a week there and still not scratch the surface much.

I have been there 3 times, a week on each occasion, and passed through on another occasion via Barajas on a tour of Extremadura (would you believe another week :-) ), now you have me wanting to go back so maybe time for the AVE to come to the rescue and whisk us up there for a long weekend!

Fond memories of places such as the Plaza Mayor (especially at night), Restaurante Botín and Chocolatería San Ginés (both just off the Plaza Mayor), plus countless other places whose names I have forgotten but could still find my way back to, Sol, Gran Vía, Estación de Atocha, the list is endless.

And yes, the metro is extremely good and great value for getting around the city.

Go for it,

Michael.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 21:22. by Aficionado »
Mike and Jane Hopper