Author Topic: I might have to cut back on puddings....  (Read 5758 times)

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
I might have to cut back on puddings....
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 18:21. »
Thanks John, thats what I thought, we will continue to hope that when the shouting is all over there may be a continuation of the reciprocal healthcare agreement or an opportunity to pay to join the health service.
Hazel

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 20:48. »
Whilst no one can predict the future, I think the chances of the Uk and Spain agreeing on a reciprocal healthcare scheme that is more or less exactly the same as is effectively in place now is fairly certain. I can't think of any reasons why either party would want to upset the apple cart.

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 20:56. »
It may well depend on how many nationals of the two countries are resident in the other.  And how many are pensioners and a possible burden on their adoptive country´s health service...

Bert

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 21:33. »
Good point Bert, whilst there are millions of UK citizens living within spain and a good majority of these will be retired. I cant imagine the numbers of spanish in the uk would be huge and most will be younger generation taxpayers. Coupled with these younger spanish not needing so much healthcare, whereas the senior citizen expat needing ever demanding support into old age, why would the spanish want a reciprocal agreement, lumbering the beleagured spanish taxpayer paying the healthcare of GA expat residents. The sums just wont add up.

In fact if you consulted the uk taxpayers they would probably say if you can afford to live in spain you can afford to buy private healthcare stop sponging on the uk that you left.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 21:37. by victor »
They dont like it up em !

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 21:45. »
When I say reciprocal agreement, I don't mean both countries paying the same. After all, they don't at present.
The UK pays far more to Spain for their citizens use of the Spanish system than Spain does to the UK.
There aren't too many Spanish who have relocated to the UK to enjoy our fabulous climate!

As long as both countries run the numbers and come to an agreement, then it's all good in the hood!
I'm certain that's what will happen. It's in both countries interest.

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 00:58. »
Healthcare costs can be huge.  As has been stated, Brits here tend to number amongst the senior side of society & thus more needy of health care.  I think it comes down to "do the maths"
Spanish in UK?  Fit, healthy, active, working, tax-payer.  No contest.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 08:01. »
I've just taken a look at the exchange rate, just below €1.11 to the £1
Those from Euroland, in fact those from anywhere, working in the UK and sending money back home must be feeling the pinch.
I reckon if the rate stays at this level a lot of them might be packing their bags and heading back home.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:04. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 08:45. »
Maybe this news should be communicated to the thousands currently sat in calais waiting there chance to live and work in the uk, with the exchange rate hitting such lows i cant see how its financially viable to relocate.

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 12:18. »
Calm down dear 😉 No need to get agitated, Spain is cheaper to live in, at least at the moment, thats what attracted a lot of pensioners as well as the weather, and surely getting health care from a system you have paid into your entire working lives isnt sponging off the uk, if it were just a case of affordability then a lot of people still based in the uk (or indeed any country of their birth) earning high wages could afford private health care and then they wouldnt be 'sponging' (not my choice of word) off the national health service either. Just a thought and i am not saying i think this should be the case because i dont.
Hazel

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2016, 14:11. »
The nhs system whilst free has to be paid for by uk taxpayers here and now in 2016, what was paid by my parents and grandparents generation wouldnt support anything like what is provided today. And whilst there are many expats who paid fully into the uk before retiring to spain and duly deserve support, there are many who didnt didnt pay in the uk and dont pay in spain but still expect what theyre owed. The DWP estimate hundreds of thousands of uk citizens claiming uk benefits whilst living in another country that is outrageous. As for private health care millions pay for it or get it as part of there employment

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 15:26. »
I wouldnt disagree with any of that, and there are of course illegals working here too. Good to hear that you do think that expats who have paid into the uk system and receive receprocal health care duly deserve to do so and are not in fact sponging off the uk.

Meanwhile back to John's initial post of puddings, i really hope you don't have to give em up.  We went to the new ice cream place up on Altomar 2 and had wonderful and very artfully crafted ice cream and brownie pud with coffee for Graham and very tasy fruit tea for me and will definitely go back next time.  We paid a lot less cor those than the two coffees and two scones which were not as good back here at home that we had just before our hols. I expected this to happen to the euro after the out vote But we will take care and still come and support the local places.
Hazel

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 16:00. »
It was all tongue in cheek Hazel, I had a gorgeous praline mouse with a custard centre  at La Spiga in Alicante yesterday lunch time......obviously after I'd tucked into a starter and one of the best tuna steaks I ever had.
There's no pockets in shrouds

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 16:18. »
Don't worry i did realise it was tongue in cheek😉, ive looked at the pics of places you travel to for lunch and you have been to some corkers,  I rather like the look of Terry Venables  place, keep up the dining out info, and enjoy 🍝🍮☕️