Author Topic: The Clot  (Read 1716 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
The Clot
« on: February 17, 2015, 09:36. »
Every time we visit GA I have at least one walk around The Clot,  every time I go I see new things, different birds, flowers, insects......it is a real paradise on our door step.
One of the best visits I had was when I went to join the Sunday morning guided tour.
I was the only person who turned up, two of the Rangers insisted on taking me on the tour. Off we set armed with binoculars and a few bird spotting books.
I've never been a "twitcher", but I found it very interesting listening to the stories of the birds and the migrations they had taken to The Clot.
They Rangers explained the history of The Clot, they took me into one of the bunkers to see where the bats who fly around our part of GA roost......what a sight.
At one point in the walk they asked me to be very quiet.......we sneaked round a corner to see some quite big lizards warming their bodies on the rocks in the morning sunshine.
This guided visit, combined with Marks excellent article in The Gran Alacant Advertiser every month make my walks around The Clot very interesting as I keep my eyes peeled looking for things.
If you haven't visited The Clot give it a go on your next visit.......it's far more interesting than a walk to Arenales

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:38. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Mark Etheridge

The Clot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:25. »
I assume this was last year John - I doubt if the lizards (Ocellated Lizards are the big ones) would be out and about at the moment!

I'm hearing that at long last the "scrape" (the bit next to the main pool) has had a long-overdue clean-out of the overgrown reeds. It might look a bit bare at the moment, but new growth will soon make it a haven for wildlife again. There's a nice little bird which you'll see over the next two months which will just love the "scrape" as it is now, more in the March GA Advertiser, and I'll be there myself next month as well.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
The Clot
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:33. »
Morning Mark, I had the "tour" about five or six years ago, from memory it was late April/May time.
Not in GA till May, I'll be checking your article then so I can sound like a pro if someone asks me about any of the birds

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."