Author Topic: CREEPY CRAWLIES: Health board warns of cockroach plague in Spain this Summer  (Read 2502 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Just read;

The Spanish Health Board has warned that there is a “high risk” of a cockroach plague throughout the country this summer.

Rising temperatures paired with humidity due to heavy rainfalls over the spring are believed to be the trigger for the mass exodus of cockroaches towards urban areas.

The board has also warned that problems arising from this even could go “much further” than just hygiene. They could also contaminate food supplies and increase the risk of people contracting salmonella.

An American ‘super cockroach’ species has also been spotted in Spain, which according to reports arrived on board boats crossing the Atlantic.

The health board has recommended preventive measures including shutting off water and food supplies near suspected infestation areas, repairing cracks and crevices in homes and clearing potential nesting sites.

If residents discover any infested areas, they are advised to call pest control companies as their attempts to clear the area using domestic pesticides could “move the problem somewhere else” or “worsen” the situation.

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Oh deep joy. For the first ten years we had our house never had a problem but get the occasional one now, think the beasties go in cycles, pity they can't come up with a plague for cockroaches.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Cockroaches and rat's are always amongst us, it becomes a major issue when the local council and urb contractors choose as they did a couple of years ago to cut back on control measures.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
In 14 years we’ve only ever had two in the house so no complaints here.
When I read of the problems some have with them we’d have been long gone!!

Regards all from a very dull GA

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Pleased to say have never had one.  My daughter stayed in an apartment last year and there were loads.  She ended up kipping on our sofa for her second week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
I’m please to say we have never had any problems with creepy crawlies over the last  14 years, hopefully the thunderstorms is say for today in GA will wash them all away !! Hope there not washed my way.
Keep us posted coming out soon , what they like on the barbie ????

Steve - sunny essex

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
We don't leave the smallest speck of food out, bread and cereal goes in airtight plastic containers and we always wash up immediately after a meal, I think if you leave food or dirty plates and saucepans around it's asking for trouble.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
In fifteen years we've had more trouble with snakes (2), rats (1) and mosquitos (14,678) than with cockroaches. Never a single one in the house. Perhaps because of my wife's brooms and mops (14)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
I’m pleased to say that they are continuing to take safeguards on our community

Regards all

John

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
John tbat was the issue on puerto Marino a couple of years ago, some cheap skate in the Administration office cut back on pest control that year which led to roaches and rats. I had a rant at the guy at the office he statec you live in the countryside what do you expect. That year we found roaches in the house, how they got in we never worked out, the house was unoccupied at the time,scrupulously clean, with only teabags to eat.
They dont like it up em !

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
I had a theory that roaches get in through the ventilation stack on our solarium, I've put a fine mesh over the vent louvres and all seems fine now.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
We only had one in the fourteen years we owned until last year when we came down to pack up and had two in the space of a fortnight. One was a real big brute.