Author Topic: Bateria de Castillitos  (Read 1274 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Bateria de Castillitos
« on: May 24, 2018, 20:14. »
What an amazing place!!
The last 15kms or so of the drive there is an experience in its self, a narrow single track road clinging to the mountain side with superb vistas, you just hope you don’t meet someone coming the other way.
You then arrive at the Gun Battery, completely deserted and left unopened for you to wander round at your leisure.....there are no toilets, cafes, guides or entrance fees....it’s just there for you to explore, all the old buildings and underground tunnels
The star attraction, other than the superb views, are the two absolutely massive guns put there to protect the sea ports of Mazarron and Cartagena
The guns were built in Coventry and can fire a 1 ton shell a distance of 35 miles.
Getting them up to the Battery must have been a feat in itself
Well worth a visit
Take a drink, a stout pair of shoes and don’t visit in peak season would be my advice

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Bateria de Castillitos
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 13:15. »
Hi John,

Where abouts is this site, can you put into google maps? We have a trip to Cartagena next month and if en route we will call on way home

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Bateria de Castillitos
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 13:45. »
It’s between Cartagena and Mazarron, it took me about 35 minutes to get to Cartagena for the afternoon after leaving Bateria.
I use the navmii app on my phone as a Sat Nav when we are in Spain, it’s free to download and doesn’t use your data allowance, it took me straight there

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."