Author Topic: Transferwise Debit Card  (Read 2591 times)

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« on: April 28, 2018, 19:38. »
Transferwise have introduced a new account, free to join, called a Borderless Account.
It gives you a Transferwise debit card and an account in a bank in Germany.
You transfer a few quid into your account, get a great exchange rate and then you use it just as you would any debit card.
If you go out of the eurozone you can use it and again benefit from Transferwises low charges and great exchange rates.
I opened an account about 10 days ago and received my card within a week.
It’ll be very useful and cost effective for us on our travels

https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&matchtype=e&device=m&creative=265849182139&userlocation=1007053&keyword=transferwise%252520debit%252520card&campaignid=834409435&adgroupid=57474029994&utm_campaign=834409435___57474029994&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aWh87_d2gIV7rDtCh0oCwG_EAAYASAAEgIbZfD_BwE

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:10. »
Hi John, got an email about this last week but you have just reminded me to get it sorted, ta.

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 12:39. »
Transferwise have introduced a new account, free to join, called a Borderless Account.
It gives you a Transferwise debit card and an account in a bank in Germany.
You transfer a few quid into your account, get a great exchange rate and then you use it just as you would any debit card.
If you go out of the eurozone you can use it and again benefit from Transferwises low charges and great exchange rates.
I opened an account about 10 days ago and received my card within a week.
It’ll be very useful and cost effective for us on our travels

https://transferwise.com/gb/borderless/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&matchtype=e&device=m&creative=265849182139&userlocation=1007053&keyword=transferwise%252520debit%252520card&campaignid=834409435&adgroupid=57474029994&utm_campaign=834409435___57474029994&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3aWh87_d2gIV7rDtCh0oCwG_EAAYASAAEgIbZfD_BwE

Regards all

John

Looks good John, I have a similar card called Monzo, although they only allow you to withdraw €200 a month for free, then they start charging you.
I will look into this card is it easy to join?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 12:47. »
Dead easy.
I’ve used Transferwise for a couple of years now, since a recommendation on here by Victor, and rate them highly.
They give brilliant exchange rates and the transfers take place very quickly, normally a couple of hours, I’ve only ever had one issue, they put their hands up straight away and compensated me.
On their card there is a £200 a month limit I seem to remember on cash withdrawals without charges.....I haven’t questioned the charges for withdrawals in excess of this

Regards all

John

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:53. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 13:37. »
I’ve just checked my limits for cash withdrawals from ATM’s, shouldn’t be a problem!!

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 18:03. »
I’ve just checked my limits for cash withdrawals from ATM’s, shouldn’t be a problem!!

Sounds very promising after my bank BMN got taken over by Bankia, there have been massive queues at the bank due to problems caused by different iban numbers and staff not having a clue. I'm now going all online banking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 14:05. »
Hi

Ive just received my card but dont know how i find out my bank details to transfer the money. Help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 14:54. »
Hi puddy-woo, they sent me an email telling me that my account was up and ready.
From their app on my phone the details were under the account tab......hope this helps

Regards all from a sunny and hot GA

John

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 15:30. »
So do you transfer money to Transferwise from yr uk bank a/c and then from Transferwise to the German a/c.  Sorry if i’m being thick!!!

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 16:07. »
Hi puddy-woo, direct from our uk account to our “transferwise” German bank account
The funds registered in the German account instantly
I used the Transferwise debit card in Mercadona today to make sure it was ok, no problems

Regards all

John

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 17:38. »
Cheers John. I will try tomorrow

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 21:41. »
I used mine at a couple of places in Italy last week and just like usual card transactions, the only difference being no loaded exchange rates, commissions etc, it all seems rather good so far. It also works in non euro currencies the same way apparently.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 22:23. »
I wonder if you could pay all your Spanish direct debits out of the Transferwise account thereby avoiding the costs associated with running a Spanish Bank account.........I'll be closing our Spanish account next month following the sale of the house so its of no interest to me to investigate this, had we not sold I would be looking into it.

Regards all

John

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 23:10. »
I tried to use it in Lidls in Uk just to test it out as it has £20 on it but it didnt work on the tap on machines and i couldn’t be bothered to find my pin so don’t know if it would have worked with the pin no

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Transferwise Debit Card
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13. »
Mines got the contactless symbol on it puddy-woo, I haven’t tried to use it contactless
I seem to remember having to get the card “authorised” before I could use it.
You can change the pin at any ATM

Regards all

John