Author Topic: Was this a possible scam?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline carmen4685

Was this a possible scam?
« on: March 12, 2017, 19:09. »
Hi Everyone
I don't post often as I live in Uk, but holiday in Gran Alacant and have family who live in Santa Pola.
I have just spoken to my mum. Last night (very late) her door was knocked. A man knew her name & knew she spoke english. He said that he lived 2 floors down and had to have his locks changed. He said the locksmith had been and gone, but the new keys were inside his apartment.
My mum offered to call the police, but he said no as he had already done so. He said he couldn't withdraw any more money.
He then said he had 2 children. My mum closed her door and made him up a bag of food and drinks for the children. He refused to accept the food.
He never asked her for money.
All night she has worried about the children being locked out.

I told her that its highly unlikely that the children existed or that he lives in the same block.
If anyone has had a similar experience & has a description of any possible con men, can they kindly let me know.
She said he must know someone who knows her as he knew her name.

Thank you for reading this, any help would be appreciated, if only to convince my mum that it might of been a possible scam.

Carmen x

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 19:45. »
Scam, he has been doing this for years.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 21:32. »
Definite scam he's pulled the door locks one before can believe he is still at it people on here have reported him to the police before even had photos of him   Scum

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 22:41. »
Does your Mum have her name on her mail box Carmen......I know a lot of people do
It would also be fairly easy to remove uncollected mail from most mail boxes to discover someone's name

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline carmen4685

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 22:50. »
Thank you for your replies. 
She does have her name on the mail box. Shes going to alter it tomorrow. I also persuaded her to knock on the door of the neighbors apartment, she did & it was no surprise to see that a different person lives there.
I'm very grateful that he didn't get into her apartment or take money from her.

If anyone has a person spec/description of any previous scams like this then please pass it on. It could be the same man.

Thank you

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 22:59. »
Hi Carman, from what I've read about this guy he never forces entry or is physically violent, he trades on the benevolence of his "neighbours".

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."