Author Topic: valencia  (Read 1449 times)

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
valencia
« on: February 17, 2015, 15:23. »
Not that far by road (2 hours) & convenient & cheap by rail, Valencia is one of our favourite Spanish cities.  As well as the science park, cathedral & usual churches, bullring with museum, it has so much more to offer.  The post office, train station (Norte), & our favourite the Plaza Redonde are all worth a look.
Our daughter lives just outside, so we go often.  This year, our granddaughter is a fallera (the costume costs an arm & a leg) & regrettably we won't be over there for Falla's (THE festival to Valencia)
There is a hop on hop off bus tour, & the city is compact enough to get around loads of the sights on foot.
Tip.  If travelling by rail, & a pensioner, produce passport at station & buy a rail card before buying your ticket.  Substantial saving on an already reasonable fare.

Offline David D

• Supreme Member
valencia
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 16:35. »
We drive there as well, I went to watch Valencia play Barcelona the last time I was there.The indoor market is great, also if you like horchata the oldest horchata shop is in Valencia and the decor inside it is beautiful.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
valencia
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 23:08. »
I was first introduced to horchata on the streets of Valencia over 10 years ago, loved it straight away, now I am always looking for an horchateria everywhere I go in Spain.

Agree it a lovely city to be in, as well as places already mentioned a walk along the old river bed through the city is well worth doing. The Turia was diverted years ago to overcome flooding problems and rather than just abandon the old water course the city fathers decided to make a feature of it with walkways, parks, games areas, generally somewhere for people to go and unwind a bit.

Now you have me thinking of going there again next time we are over :-)
Mike and Jane Hopper