Author Topic: Stop off in madrid  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Stop off in madrid
« on: February 16, 2016, 13:06. »
Hello all, Ive just seen a flight with Iberia From ALC-BHX with 1 stop in Madrid with a 7 hour gap.
My question is, can you leave the airport? As that would be quite a nice flight for the last day of our holiday.
Phillip

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 13:23. »
Only done it USA where we were parked in a transit lounge (not even the main airport ) and not allowed to leave that area so I doubt unless it's booked as 2 separate flights with 2 check ins etc

granalacant

Stop off in madrid
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 20:58. »
Hello all, Ive just seen a flight with Iberia From ALC-BHX with 1 stop in Madrid with a 7 hour gap.
My question is, can you leave the airport? As that would be quite a nice flight for the last day of our holiday.

yes you can leave the airport  :-) However, it takes about 30 mins to reach the city centre - so you are cutting it a bit finely ...

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:15. »
Thanks both...
I had a quick google and people are saying both, but think if you have a bording pass you can come out.
 But of course need to go back though security ect. So yes time might be short....( then what about luggage???)
Might just forget it  :)
Phillip

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 14:52. »
You should be able to check your luggage all the way through to final destination, so only issue is going back through security . If flights on time you should get at least 3/4 hours in Madrid.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 18:39. »
Don't forget there's nothing much to see! Someone had to say it! I am exaggerating of course, but the fact is Madrid leaves me fairly cold... unlike Grenada, Sevilla, Valencia.. I just find it big and empty to be honest (and you don't have enough time for the Prado)

granalacant

Stop off in madrid
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 20:32. »
hmmmm
Puerta del Sol
Museo Thyssen Borenmisza
Museo del Prado
Chueca
Cibeles
Museo del Real Madrid  :-)
Museo del Jamón even
Zara, Corte Inglés ...
Museo Naval
Museo Arqueológico

There are a few things in Madrid. Unlike in Valencia or Alicante for that matter ...

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 11:43. »
That kind of proves my point? The number one in your list "Puerta del Sol" is actually just a big (not that big) and frankly boring square (the most action in it is on Sunday mornings stamp sale stalls). As squares go, it's certainly a square I suppose.

80% of the rest of your list are museums, of which the Prado is obviously a stand-out, and before you got to ten you actually started listing shops! Alicante has a Corte Ingles! :)

I am not comparing Madrid to Alicante (although given Alicante has a beautiful seafront so it still might win). I am comparing it firstly to other capital cities from around the world (London, Paris, Rome, Berlin etc etc) which it doesn't come even close to the same quality and quantity of general sightseeing, but also to other Spanish cities - especially Sevilla and Granada - which to me are far nicer in every way.

I'd just move the Prado to Sevilla and it'd be a good step forward :)

granalacant

Stop off in madrid
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 04:02. »
To start with Puerta del Sol is not square, it has a quite different form as you will remember from your mathematics lessons :-) and would recommend you visiting the adjoining areas like Plaza Mayor, Las Descalzas, Los Jerónimos, Plaza Santa Ana, and the streets in between like Calle Mayor etc. Just an idea. And whilst you re at it, the Palacio Real and the Museo de los Carruajes.
Shopping (have you ever been in the Corte Inglés in de Castellana - about ten times as big as the two ones in Alicante) was mentioned because it is an important point for some.
Have you actually been in any of the other musea? Like e.g. also the Pintor Sorolla? The Reina Sofía? Lázaro Galdiano? The armoury? Templo de Debod?
The casa del Campo? The zoo?
Close to Madrid: Toledo, San Lorenzo del Escorial, Chinchón?
I don t mention the theatres since most perform in Spanish so that would be a challenge
Oh well, leave you to it. I suppose Alicante for you has far more things to see ...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:29. by granalacant »

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 12:14. »
We can nit pick over site by site if you like, my initial point remains very simple. I think Madrid compares poorly to a lot of other capital cities, and compares poorly even to some other Spanish ones.

Obviously it has literally "more and bigger things" in it than Alicante.

By the way I have been to Madrid probably twenty times. I have friends and relatives living there. But I find it lacking in general "enjoyability" factor when ranked against other cities I have visited.

The Puerto del Sol may not be square. But referring to it as a square is perfectly legitimate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerta_del_Sol since that's what it is in architectural terms.

granalacant

Stop off in madrid
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 11:54. »
we agree to differ   :-)
Basically prefer Madrid over Barcelona or Sevilla. But then - for Madrid - that has a lot to do with the theatres, Madrid is really a joy (particularly the area around Pza. Santa Ana and Gran Vía.
Favourites in Spain: Pamplona and Santiago de Compostela - but that depends on the friends you have there.
Favourites in Europe: Antwerp and Istanbul. Though the Italian cities come very close   :-)

Personally find both Barcelona and Sevilla boring - again, personal feeling. And don' tell me about Valencia - a complete bore, except for the aquarium.

Off next week to Santiago, and next month to Kiev. Now THAT is a bore ...

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Stop off in madrid
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 09:35. »
I spent a week at the university in Santiago de Compostela and there's plenty to do/see in Santiago.

granalacant

Stop off in madrid
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 20:42. »
Santiago city centre and around are one of the best places in Spain, together with Pais Vasco and Cantabria. Only problem is the rain   :-)
Also don t forget Santillana de Mar
Pamplona is perfect if you do NOT go during the sanfermines  :-) The food is gorgeous  :-)  Quite something different from Alicante ...