Author Topic: Car hire charges!!  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Big D

Car hire charges!!
« on: February 10, 2016, 21:29. »
Wife and her sister just returned home yesterday after her loving husband (thats me)  having to bear the cost of hotel stay in Santa Pola for 3 days and dhl courier charges after boarding the plane to Alicante without keys.  Situation has now got much worse. 

Received an email from Goldcar today stating large amount of money now being charged to my card regarding "damage" to the hire car.  My wife is a very careful driver and adament that no damage occurred.  Usual storey of going to the office at airport carpark to leave in keys and show proof of fuel purchased from garage in El Altet.  Goldcar staff member insists on her putting car keys in box outside and assures her all ok.  Mistake made by my wife was not insisting on having the hire form signed by staff member, Allowed herslf to be told to just put keys in box and all is ok.  Having contacted credit card company they now confirm an amouint much larger that Goldar stated to me in their email now going through but they cannot stop it. Credit card company have advised me to ringback on Friday to confirm the amount has gone through and then start the claim process.

In my opinion these crazy low prices are being used to initially draw in customers and then claim vast amouts from their cards when the hire period ends.  In doing so to a large number of people, many drivers will no doubt give up the fight of trying to retrieve their money back. From past experience they just refuse thet accept they are wrong.  They are therefore making a forture by deceit.  The situation is now making me consder giving up on the apartment altogether.  It is not practical for me to purchase an "apartment car"  I believe that the Consulate in Alicante or somebody in authority should be made aware of this sharp practice and asked to intervene.  This is not the first time I have been ripped off by car hire firms in recent years. I think that ultimately this will result in many people not returning to Alicante after the bad experience of car hire. Comments and ideas from fellow forum urers would be most welcome. Thanks

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 22:10. »
Hi there, I wouldn't touch Goldcar with a barge pole
Take a look at their feedback at review centre.
I think it's unfair to judge all car hire companies by this cowboy outfits standard
I've used Record for 10 years and never had a problem.....other than a couple of tatty cars I've rejected

Hope you get the problem sorted

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Big D

Car hire charges!!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 22:55. »
Hi john. The same thing as I described earlier happened to me with Record in October past.  Vowed never to use them again. Only for my wife being out two weeks later and stating the case in person at the desk she managed to convince them to return money.  Trying to convince them by email hopeless.  Dickmans in early 2015 kept fuel money even after being given fuel docket from el altet garage purchased 10 mins earlier.  Can't recall just now the other firm who kept fuel money.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18. »
Thats all very frustrating and annoying. I hope it doesn't put you off. I can imagine how you feel as I had a bad (not car related) experience a few years ago and felt the same - luckily I got over it. We use Xtra car hire and always pay cash on collection. Have never had a problem

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50. »
We have used record via e-mail car hire for  many years and never had any problem with extra charges etc

Offline Paublo

Car hire charges!!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:13. »
When hiring cars I always write on diagram of car on form car unchecked and several marks noted that are not on diagram. I then ask rep dealing on counter to countersign contract before I sign. Also were I sign I write  please note car diagram on this page. always works for me

Offline Loulou

Car hire charges!!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 13:52. »
This is why we have decided not to hire a car anymore. After visiting GA for 11 years, last year we found a hire car for a good price through one of the main companies on airport site, but they then try to load you up on the insurance and worst of all they blocked 950 Euros on our credit card in case of accident and, took a further amount to cover a tank of fuel,  obviously at over inflated prices, when the policy was full/full.  I looked through various other car hire companies and in the small print, it all says the same about blocking these amounts.

I am fed up with being ripped off by car hire companies so its taxis and the tourist train for us now!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 13:55. by Loulou »

Offline Peter D

Car hire charges!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 16:58. »
Lou Lou.
We did exactly the same as you.the train and local buses are fantastic and cheap.If you do want to go farther afield you can negotiate a good deal with some of the lads from the square,car hire is out for us now ,it's neither worth the worry or the hassle.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 18:12. »
I think if this was me I would go back to the hire company and query as far as I know the additional insurance they offer should only cover damage to body of car over 4cm diamiter and damage to windscreen wheels and tyres and the underbody . Their original insurance that is included in the hire price covers all the rest. So unless it is really major damage you should get a refund .My only bad experience in car hire so far after hiring about 6 a year for 14 years was an additional cleaning charge which I queried and pushed really hard and got a refund for .   Having said all of that I still use my phone to video a walk round of every car I hire on pickup show it to the person who gives out keys and write it on the contract but so far have not needed it

Offline Big D

Car hire charges!!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 22:02. »
Thanks to all who have viewed and commented so far regarding my situation with Goldcar.  The point raised by Spurs stating that minor damage should be covered by the normal insurance is very helpful.  Will expore this matter. Goldcar have replied today rejecting my request not to charge my card.  However an interesting point has now come to my attention.  When i viewed the photos supplied by Goldcar yesterday they were seen by me on my ipad.  Today I have viewed the various photos on my laptop with a much larger screen.   The first photo shows the full front of the car with the registration plate visible.  In this photo an oil stain is on the ground beneath the front left corner of the car.  Another close up photo of the front left corner only with no number plate visible shows some scrapes at the bottom edge of the bumper but guess what?  THERE IS NO OIL STAIN ON THE GROUND!!  I now believe that they are taking money from me regarding scapes on another vehicle of the same model and colour. Amazing.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 22:38. »
Like many of you we have hired dozens of car at alicante airport over the last 10 years, of these we have probably had 4 horror stories. These are normally charges made to the credit card on arrival back in the uk for fuel not refunded or some spurious damage. The aggravation of getting the money back means we are now planning trips to ga this year and using taxis and buses. The spanish never ever learn in my opinion you cant rip the hand that feeds you. Of more concern is this minority of parasites in the car hire world are giving ga a bad name.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 07:44. »
It does make you wonder whether you should grit your teeth at the extra cost and use either Hertz or Europcar.

Offline puddy-woo

• Galactic Member
  • x
Car hire charges!!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:14. »
Or pay cash with no credit card??

Casa De Valen Med II

Offline Keith and Jen

Car hire charges!!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44. »
We have given up hiring cars for use in GA.  We now either use the local bus or walk.
Since we live in Brisamar this entails some uphill journeys but we always return to the UK much fitter.  Usually we don't notice the uphill bits (except the few hundred metres between The Clot and the old farmacia.)  It is sometimes a nuisance that the local circular bus doesn't run after 13.30.
Fortunately some of the best eating places in GA are close at hand.

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.