Author Topic: Boardwalks in place  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Maricia

Boardwalks in place
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2015, 12:56. »
Hi,

Article published this week in the Costa Blanca News (also an article about Iberdrola being fined for price fixing):

http://www.costa-news.com/latest-news/defending-the-dunes/

BW

Maricia

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 11:27. »
Doesn't look that bad

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2015, 18:31. »
Went down this morning I don't think any Boardwalks have been removed as far as I could tell from the one about 1/2 way to Arenales that splits in 2 the one back to Ga from there is fenced off but it looks like that is for repairs not removal . The little fence looks ok but I'm not sure it will do anything to protect the dunes it doesn't look strong enough

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 01:11. »
I had a walk down the new replacement boardwalk this morning. I'm not sure what was achieved by tearing the old one up and replacing it practically in the same place.

I can see what they are trying to do with the planting - you can see the grass in between the reed protecting sticks.

However I'm not sure what the point is - the actual usable beach width is much reduced now I know they want to protect the dunes but I'm still not sure what was happening that needed the protection. It's 2/3 (protected) dunes 1/3 beach now.

I don't think the Parres centre and beach bar will fit now - judge for yourself's:

€250k well spent ?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

BeachLife

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 11:34. »
That's about €1 per blade of grass. But those stick fences look pretty valuable I guess. The important thing is that it will reduce the amount of people coming to the beach, great for the lovers and protectors of dune grass, not so good for the local economy.

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 14:34. »
It will be a great loss if the water sports centre/ cafe can not open as we always used it and it brought a lot of people to the area.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 15:10. »
Agreed. but take heart, I am sure Dune Grass lovers will be flocking in to look at it :'(

Offline Gemstone

• Supreme Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 17:11. »
I think it looks horrible, can you imagine what the strip of beach that is left will look like in August ? Worse than Benidorm !

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 17:48. »
I know there are a lot of us that appreciate the look of the Dunes and they do need to be kept in good condition and free from from footfall - hence the great idea of the boardwalks a few years ago. I just dont get the need for a dune / wilderness  "extension" towards the shoreline.

Initially I thought this was a temporary measure - but it looks like very much a long term plan

has anyone got something that I can translate and read as to what they are trying to achieve and the balance the area needs to support the economy and visitors in the summer ?

As Gemstone says - it will be too overcrowded in the summer - people are encouraged down there (by design) with the boardwalks and will have nowhere to go. August will be very difficult.
BeachLife

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 19:11. »
Whole thing is very strange. I think someone at the council just tapped into some juicy environmental funds - to our detriment.

Google Earth has historical aerial imagery of those dunes going back to 2002. I just took a quick look. There was no more grass on them then than there is now. Maybe they are trying to return them to a state before 2002? Maybe the Jurassic period? Who knows? Meanwhile they continue to build eyesore properties all over the land just behind...oh but I guess that land didn't have any lesser-spotted dune grass on it. Ludicrous.

Instead of spending a quarter of a million making the beach earn us more money, they spent it taking money away.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28. »
You wonder if Santa Pola where even involved in discussions about the project
Elche council might not have even given the beach lovers of GA a second thought.......
Seems a shame, I'm all for conservation but I don't think they've got the balance quite right here.
Although it wont effect me as GA is out of bounds in July & August, too hot and too busy, for the rest of the year there's ample space to plonk my chair at the seas edge

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Gordon Davies

Boardwalks in place
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 14:23. »
Is there not some way of letting the powers to be know that the regular visitors and most people who own places are not happy with the fact that we will not be able to use the beach comfortably in the peak periods of the year

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 09:06. »
So, what was it like on the beach in July and August?

Did the conservation get in the way of people enjoying themselves or did Elche get the balance right?

Regards all

John

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 09:25. »
John the beach was no different from any other years, the only changes were the blue monkey, my daughter went down a few time and said the guy behind the ramp was rude and would not serve you if he didn't want to , also she notice him short changing a few people,  so those who never check was being robbed !!!, she said the others were OK , the inflatables are out sunbed are now run by someone else, the original team are now in los areneles.
Other than that all good

Steve

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Boardwalks in place
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 09:34. »
Cheers Steve that's brilliant
It all seemed OK to me when we were last there in June.
Back out in a couple of weeks when the masses will have long gone

Regards all

John