Author Topic: Water tap  (Read 1092 times)

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« on: July 19, 2023, 19:08. »
Not sure if this question has been aksed before, there it a advert in the GA Advertiser with a water tap fitted for water that tastes like bottled water, can any recommend this and does it actually taste like bottled water ???
Thanks in advance.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 21:32. »
"reverse osmosis unit" - Had one for twenty years. Change the filters myself (kit from Leroy Merlin) and it tastes perfectly fine. They sell kits for the whole thing in Leroy, and 5-10 youtube videos should allow you to fit it, or else of course any local tradesman. I recommend, cannot imagine living here and constantly buying bottled water. Madness.

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 10:12. »
https://www.pureflo.co.uk/product-category/water-filters-kits/

Cheaper to buy it and fit it yourself like we did. Bring the water filter out with us when needed. You will need to purchase a  straight coupler from either toolstation or screwfix at home to fit it correctly.

But as gaveteran said Leroy’s has then. So even less mucking around.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 19:55. »
Could you show photo of a straight coupler, does it taste like bottled water ? Can it be left for a few months without using and be OK when you arrive?
Lots of questions sorry
Thanks

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 14:51. »
Tastes good to me and we no longer buy bottled water. Yep it can go for months without changing. Think we last changed ours over a year ago. All we do when we come back out here is run the tap for a little while

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 14:55. »
That’s our set up.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 16:14. »
So it comes straight out of your original tap, no need to even buy a new one, is that correct ??
Sorry one more question, what are the type of fillers , any names or are they a standard type.

Thanks

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 18:27. »
Yes straight out the tap

https://www.pureflo.co.uk/product/pf250cb-carbon-block-refill-for-250-series-for-mono-block-tap-copy/

That’s the filter, it comes with one ready in the kit.

The kit has fitting instructions.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 18:29. by Sookie »

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 21:39. »
I have never looked into those "single filter" solutions. Perhaps they are great, I don't know. Mine is the "triple unit" of pre-filter, middle and reverse-osmosis unit, that uses its own small tap, and a small pressurised tank. To my mind, these carbon ones can only be scrubbing the chlorine taste from the water, as opposed to filtering it in the way osmosis does.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 20:42. »
Fully agree GAV, I've had the reverse osmosis system for 20 years and wouldn't be without one. Leroy Merlin currently have two models on offer at €120 and €150 although both have the seperate tap whereas I prefer the single sink tap with the osmosis outlet built in. If you buy a RO system from LM they have an installation offer of €60 if you live within a 30km radius of the shop.
BTW Steve water is tasteless, colourless and odourless so I imagine if you prefer a brand of  bottled water for "taste" you're better sticking to it.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2023, 11:43. »
DaveG do you have the full information / reference/ part numbers regarding the unit you at using, it sounds to be the best option to get from Leroy’s, I’ve looked on their website but not sure which one you are recommending.

Thanks
Steve

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 21:20. »
https://www.leroymerlin.es/search?q=osmosis%20inversa&autocomplete=top

Steve, the first two on the link are the ones being promoted, the installation offer is €60 not €90. I'm not recommending either of them specifically just the RO system against the single carbon filter. It's horses for courses.

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Keith and Jen

Water tap
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 07:26. »
We just use a Brita jug. One cartridge lasts a month on one of our irregular visits.

https://www.brita.co.uk/water-filter-system/water-filter-jugs

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Water tap
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 14:08. »
Useful article on the subject, never knew it could be so complex.

It is and it isn't. If I was you I would simply work backwards from "what is available right here, with spares and which all the plumbers understand". That is the "standard" reverse osmosis units from Leroy Merlin. Watch a couple of youtube videos and you can fit them yourself. I've forgotten to change the filters for two years before, and it was all fine (but perhaps not recommended). Fit and almost forget, you won't look back.

https://www.leroymerlin.es/productos/fontaneria/tratamiento-del-agua-para-beber/osmosis-inversa/equipo-de-osmosis-bbagua-bbbasic-5-etapas-16492693.html €111 - no brainer if you ask me.