Author Topic: Oldest businesses in Gran Alacant  (Read 2195 times)

Offline denandrose

Oldest businesses in Gran Alacant
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2023, 12:13. »
It’s Maria II , on the corner, as you say next to Webster. We also think it was there since early 2000’s.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 13:59. »
Applogies for the quality of the photos.....there might be a few reminders here

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 14:01. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline NickiH

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 17:27. »
What about the monte Mar restaurant in Masa square that’s been there since we bought here in 2002

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 20:50. »
I can’t remember a time that Azafran Indian restaurant in masa square wasn’t there.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2023, 10:37. »
Applogies for the quality of the photos.....there might be a few reminders here

Some crackers in their John. I suppose one way to think about it is to figure out what year each "area" was built. T

he Carabasi strip must have been quite early? Perhaps directly after the "Sueno Azul" area? I am unsure about the history of GA before 18-20 years ago when most of us "veterans" seem to have arrived. Wasn't the big white "Gran Alacant 1" block put up first? Before anything else? Wouldn't that make Cocoa's the outright winners? (It was that and old Pan y Mas) that were here when I arrived. Or does the Sueno Azul area predate it?

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2023, 16:34. »
When I first visited in 1999 Sierra mar was there only the little la taverna bar was open chasers was a bread shop , la paletta was closed as was zest ,the bar that was later an internet cafe and dick Turpin . the Norwegian club was there but rarely open The Patagonia was a children’s playroom with a pool table and some arcade games .
Dragon 1 was open in the white row where suen azul is which was open. Bella vista was open the shops banks and cafés opposed Bella vista were being built . Carabassi bars were just open although only 2 were open .

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 21:02. »
Who remembers the corner shop on the opposite end of the block to Sueno Azul? Going back to 2000. It used to be the only place to buy provisions without going into Santa Pola or El Altet. When Spain changed to the euro we bought something in there just to get the new coins. Since then (to our knowledge) it's been a Dragon pizzeria, a veg shop and now is a small bar.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 23:34. »
When Spain changed to the euro we bought something in there just to get the new coins.
Hardcore!

Offline marcomarcos

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2023, 18:51. »
Who remembers the corner shop on the opposite end of the block to Sueno Azul?

I remember it well, it was the only place to buy local provisions, other than that it was the bread man in his van at 10am every morning.

The one restaurant I miss is Ricardo’s, he expanded too quickly and went bust.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2023, 22:07. »
Ricardos rings a bell! Wasn't it "Don Ricardos"? Where was it? I am sure I ate there, but shortly after my arrival, and, as for many others I have seen, shortly after arrival is a bit of a blur haha

Offline denandrose

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2023, 22:36. »
D’Ricardos was where Cielo Largo is now. It was a lovely restaurant, and yes he went bust, but now has a small bar/ eaterie on Altomar 2 called A tu Gusto, next to the BBVA bank and Dunbars, it’s  excellent, he does a great Paella as well as small plates and tapas.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2023, 13:31. »
D'Ricardos, one of the few restaurants we have ever walked out of due to absolutely appaling service.

Mrs H and I had been two or three times and rated it as average.

We went in one night with four neighbours and the service was absolutely appalling. The very arrogant waiter must have been trained at El Faro, he got our drinks order wrong and told us that it was us that had screwed up and unless we wanted to buy more drinks we were having what we had brought to the table.
Not wanting to spoil the evening we laughed it off and joked that he'd got out of the bed the wrong side.

The starters were then delivered, despite 6 of us ordering a starter only four were delivered  and one of these was wrong......again he protested that he had delivered what we had ordered!!

After a quick conversation we left enough money on the table to pay for our drinks and the four uneaten starters and got up and left, within minutes someone came out waving a meat cleaver at us!!

One of our party was Klauss from Hamburg, a big lad, ex docker, he spoke fluent Spanish (his wife was Spanish)......Snr Meat Cleaver quickly decided that he had tried to bight off more than he could chew and made a hasty retreat back to the safety of their restaurant.

We never set foot in the place again.....tell a lie, we did.....D'Ricardos shut someone else took it over, the name escapes me, it was very very good.

Regards all

John

It reopened as Mirandi, photo attached

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 13:39. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2023, 20:39. »
The very arrogant waiter must have been trained at El Faro
haha! Fantastic memories! Yes I remember more now. D'Ricardos (too posh for the Don)  was rated as "the place to go" here for quite a while as I recall, although I don't recall visiting myself. The replacement (I also cannot recall the name) was seen as very upmarket while it was open! Which it was (for here)

I echo your thoughts about El Faro. Bizarre place. Forced to go a couple of times a year by a relative that inexplicably loves the place. Must have an affinity for '60s dining haha. Keeping on topic..... how old is THAT!? Is it in GA? It could be the winner, because I am fairly sure it designed its menu in 1965 (and saw no need to change it) haha!

Cannot leave without putting an off-topic recommendation for Cielo Largo, surely the most underrated Asian eatery in GA, with a very friendly family running it. Not michelin, but solid, and at least slightly different from the "pork balls and MSG" market.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2023, 20:43. »
Found this online from 2007

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2023, 16:09. »
Any body else remember the old guy who used to ride a moped that he fitted a belt to that went to a grinding wheel he would sharpen your knives for a few cents. Did a great job as well he was a regular visitor but haven’t seen him in years