Author Topic: Oldest businesses in Gran Alacant  (Read 2197 times)

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Oldest businesses in Gran Alacant
« on: February 26, 2023, 21:52. »
I remain pessimistic about new businesses. Especially bars and "restaurants". Out of interest. What are the longest surviving, currently open, businesses? Any ideas? "Sueno Azul" has been around since I arrive (20 years give or take) but might be recent new owners? All the same - at least it has the same name. The "Dragon's" have been here from the start (at least one of them)... as has "Cocoa". Any other candidates?

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 22:59. »
Dunbars? Admittedly it was closed for a long number of years while the owners tried to unload it without success but it reopened a few years back.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline denandrose

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 23:36. »
Correct about Dragon Restaurants, now called Yanina, but same owners and Cocoas.
I think Ricardo’s in his restaurant , now Cielo Largo, was open when we first came to GA in 2003, of course he is now at A Tu Gusto. Patagonia has been there a good while too.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 06:40. »
Haven't been down for a few years. Phoenix was one of the early ones, rising from the ashes, as it were, from the original failed partnership, the name of which escapes me. They then went it alone, hence the name, but I've a feeling they packed it in not all that long ago.

Offline Maricia

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 14:18. »
Haven't been down for a few years. Phoenix was one of the early ones, rising from the ashes, as it were, from the original failed partnership, the name of which escapes me. They then went it alone, hence the name, but I've a feeling they packed it in not all that long ago.
The owners of the Pheonix were co-owners of Casanovas (now gone).  Marianne still owns Chasers, albeit not open at present and Vista Bella (opposite Chinese shop) has been there a long time.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 18:21. »
When we came 22 years ago the block with the banks and Dragon hadn't been built. Sueño Azul was there then though as was the restaurant opposite the chinese.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 07:43. »
Vista Bella was, when we first came down on an inspection visit in 2001, appropriately named as the block on the seaward side hadn't been built then.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 13:01. »
haha "Vista Bella" - Yes there name makes much more sense now! These days it's more "Vista China", poor souls. Or "Vista Povre".

I think that settles it. It's either Vista Bella or Sueno Azul I think. Now wondering what the shortest lived are haha, but that's a bit cruel. I would be very surprised if there have not been half a dozen that closed before they opened (literally). Gran Alacant - in fairness we invented the "pop-up" restaurant craze  ;D

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 16:59. »
Vista Bella and suen azul were both there in nov 1999 when we first came to view.
As GA veteran mentions there have been so many short lived it’s hard to remember one in particular but it’s safe to say some of those buildings have had more refurbs and reinventions than they ever had customers . One than springs to mind was Cinema bar . I dread to think how much they spent on the interior of that place loads and loads of charred wood polished to perfection  everywhere expensive lights tables and chairs etc for what maybe 1 year and the max.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 19:28. »
Yes I remember that "Cine Bar". It deserved to succeed really, it was a nice place to be as I recall, and had one of the best refits we've ever seen. Great lighting, pool table with ample space. What is it now? The Chino?

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 14:16. »
have you all forgotten the GIRLS on n332 oldest business by far, stopped trading in 2012
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 14:28. »
Years ago if you looked on Google earth satellite view you could clearly see her sat on her chair under her umbrella

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 19:07. »
In all fairness there have been some excellent bars and restaurants over the years who deserved to succeed but for other reasons closed, there were a couple upstairs at the Carrabasi a Belgium restaurant and Sandhills which were both very popular in there day. When did Gran Mundo open ?

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 10:40. »
Gran Mundo could be the oldest Chinese here I think. It's incredible popularity bewilders me. It's not like you can't walk round the corner and look at the kitchen if you want to. I suspect most don't want to see.Their extraction system was a sellotaped yellow desk fan for about ten years. That fan was older than most Gran Alacant businesses by itself.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 11:53. »
What’s the name of the Chinese next to Webster bar up the hill , I’m sure it’s still got the original owners? when I first came it was that Chinese, white rose, and dunbars