Author Topic: Passport clarity  (Read 391 times)

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Passport clarity
« on: August 27, 2022, 11:39. »
There have been quite a few press reports lately of people being caught out at the airport and refused travel due to passport dates, mainly I think because of issue dates. My understanding, having looked online, is that for travel to Spain the passport must have been issued no more that 10 years before the arrival date in Spain and must have at least 3 months left to expiry from the date of leaving Spain again.

So for a proposed trip down over Halloween, probably 27th October to 1st/2nd November, a passport with an issue date of 5th March 2013 and expiry date of 5th March 2023 fits these rules ok.

Does anyone know different or has been through this particular mill and has experience of the problem?

TIA

Michael.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Passport clarity
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 14:21. »
In theory I think you are correct , but I’ve seen cases of people refused the flight because they had less than 6 months left . The airline was wrong in these cases but it was too late after the people were denied boarding.
I think there are still issues every week there is a case in the paper or on the news of the airline not knowing the rules. Interestingly I’ve never seen or heard of anyone actually being denied entry to Spain because of it , it’s always the Airline who deny boarding and I’m sure they don’t check fully every passport .
Would be great to go back to the old days of no fuss no issue ,many years ago a mate of mine went and got back in his wife’s passport by mistake .

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Passport clarity
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 16:00. »
Thanks Spurs, think it was mainly Ryanair that caused a few issues due to not understanding the rules, pulled this off Easyjet webpage today and as it is them we will be using hopefully there will be no issues.

Please check your passport's expiry and issue date before you travel. If you're a UK passport holder travelling to the EU (except Ireland), or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican City or Switzerland, your passport will need to meet the following criteria:

It must be valid for at least three months after the day you plan to depart from the EU or above countries*
It must be no more than 10 years' old on the date of travel to the EU or above countries.

Visit the UK government’s advice page for more information.

Think I'll print out the webpage anyway and carry it with us  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 16:01. by Aficionado »
Mike and Jane Hopper