Author Topic: Banking Charges  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« on: February 13, 2020, 16:28. »
Just wondering if anyone knows of other banks in GA and their banking charges. We have just received our
Estado de commisiones from Deutsche Bank they have charges us €102.42 a year for the joys of banking with them.

We are already thinking of changing bank, now they are no longer in GA but would like to know other banks and their charges.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 16:32. by Sookie »

Offline loser

Banking Charges
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 21:38. »
Banking in Spain, what a joy....
Sabadells cheapest account for non residents is 170 euro/year. I'm going to change later and this site gives some pros and cons about different banks.
https://jeangalea.com/best-commission-free-banks-spain/

Offline Peter D

Banking Charges
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:34. »
We are with Bankia and they are not much cheaper.They froze our account last year with a substantial amount of cash in it,didn't pay ANY standing orders for 5months but still took their charges for the account.

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 17:39. »
Just done an online chats with n26 bank and there are no charges only Ifs there no money in your account to pay the bills. All direct debits are free. Cash withdrawals are free if in euros, and so are money transfers into you account. The debit card is free to use.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 18:31. »
What is bank n26 and do they have branches in GA ..

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 21:10. »
I believe from recent correspondence that TransferWise Borderless Account can now be used to pay direct debits....i.. definitely worth checking out

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 08:43. »
N26 is online banking only, with online chat was quick at respond.
Transfer wise borderless was on this list to check out also John.

Offline loser

Banking Charges
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 10:11. »
I looked in to this a few years back and people had problems getting their suma, waterbill and so on to be deducted from anything but a Spanish bank. A few years have passed and now I see more people having success moving their business to online / European banks. Overall 150 euros per year for a Spanish Bank isn't that much, what ticks me off is their poor online experience and "you need to go to your local branch for that".....

Offline loser

Banking Charges
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 15:42. »
Small update and a disclaimer. I'm not sponsored or affiliated with any of the brands mentioned.

Opened an N26 account online. All in all 15 min work an one nights sleep to get the id verified. So now I have an account with a Spanish iban and support for direct debits. Moved my iberdrola bill over and will see how it works. If it goes well my taxes and other bills will be moved as well. Using Transferwise to move euros from my Swedish account, which seems to be the cheapest way so far.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 19:19. »
Our first account was with a Bankinter, Halifax in the uk then started they’re Hispania account with free transfers. Alongside we ran Bancaja which became Bankia, all banks were now collapsing with Sabadell being our last bank standing. What all these banks had in common was they’re efficiency in taking fees, they never missed a beat, so on the ball they were amazing, sadly that was all they were good at. My latest angst is with Sabadell’s online system trying to get notifications. I have rung and emailed dozens of times to no avail. There seems little inclination to improve as there’s no real competition so maybe some new non Spanish banks might rattle them a bit.
And why is it when you attend the branch that every customer seems to have a lengthy protracted problem that takes ages to sort out, speaks volumes I think.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 19:23. by wilson »

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 11:57. »
sabadell have upped their online security level.  I notice now when i access my a/c i get a text with a 4 digit code to enter before i access my a/c
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 09:33. »
I've been with the BBVA for 20 years and they've been absolutely brilliant for us. I'm not changing banks, possibly opening a nest of vipers to save 2 euros a week.

Offline loser

Banking Charges
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 10:57. »
For me it's not so much about saving a few euros a week.
My main hang up is that for every little thing you need to change, you must visit the local branch and dance after their pipe. But I agree, you roll the dice, and for me it was time to do just that. We'll see how it goes.

Offline Sookie

• Galactic Member
Banking Charges
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 17:36. »
Be interesting to see how it all works out with N26 We intend to change our electric suppliers when out in April and will be changing our banking to N26 bank at the same time, one less DD to sort out.

Offline Alan

Banking Charges
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 00:12. »
If a UK resident, before you change to N26, have a look at:

BBC.co.uk/news/business-51463632

It would appear that N26 are closing all UK accounts on 15 April. Sorry I couldn't manage to do a direct link.