Author Topic: Servicing electrical water heaters.  (Read 2206 times)

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Servicing electrical water heaters.
« on: June 07, 2019, 20:08. »
Our last water heater lasted 10 years without servicing before it gave up. Our latest one is nearly 2 years old and I wondered about getting it serviced.
Do people get their water boilers serviced regularly in Spain and if so any recommendations?

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 09:45. »
The water in GA seems very scaley with the kettle requiring descale frequently. The water boiler is just a big kettle nothing more. After 10 years the inside would have several inches of scale this reduces volume of water and gradually reduces flow. There are persons locally who will service the boiler, not really a service in my opinion just a flush out of debris and charge at leat 50 euro a year. Does this extend the life im doubtful. 10 year life is pretty good, we usually use pablo at euronics who will price match, a new quality Ariston is about 200 euro his plumber Ivan i think charges 50 euro. Thats averagely 50 cents a week

Offline mikehoward

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 12:43. »
Hi,  we have ours serviced every 2 - 3 years mainly because at least you know it wont break down at an inopportune moment, like when family are out. The boiler is flushed out and the magnesium rod is replaced, cost is about 30 -40 euros (can't remember). We use Patrick Walden - 0034 626 77 08 47.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 16:52. »
Having it flushed out and a 6 euro anode fitted (easy diy job) wont necessarily stop the boiler packing up before Patricks at the end of the road. The service is nothing more than a clean and rinse if a plumber suggests anymore ask what else theyre doing. As stated previously they're just a wall mounted big kettle, easily bought off the shelf locally within minutes, 1hour tops to exchange heater. But if paying for a "service" gives peace of mind then each to there own.

Offline lesandtony

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 13:57. »
Try fitting a water filter on the incoming supply. It will last a lot longer.  Easy fit cheap plumbing job from Leroy merlins

Offline mikehoward

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 15:13. »
Also bear in mind  if it's not cleaned out you are reducing the amount of water available as it fills up with sludge. Plus you are trying to heat up all this sludge which has got to mean more electricity. New someone who left theirs, and it took two people to lift it off the wall due to the extra weight of the sludge. 

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 16:29. »
If you've got sludge in your tank i suggest you get your water tested asap, you should only have scale deposits. On the boilers ive had replaced without the annual "service" theres usually a couple of inches of debris in the tank when being changed, most last 10/12 years. I suppose there might be a reduction in volume but nothing too get excited about.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 16:41. »
Ours fell off the wall due to the extra weight of the deposits (or badly fitted). Luckily it was a tight fit in a cupboard that prevented it from falling to the floor or pulling any of the fittings off.

Swapped it for a gas boiler and run it off propane; €12 a bottle for constant hot water and as many consecutive  showers as you want.

Best move I ever made in the hot water department.

Dave

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:50. »
I would suggest poor installation dave as a heater whether full of water which it is constantly,  is extremely heavy. A few inches of scale weighs the same per volume as water so no added weight. The use of papier mache twigs and sellotape in spanish construction is the usual reason things fall apart in spain, sorry forgot the blue tack.
Incidentally doesnt the exchanger on your gas boiler also fur up ?

Offline Up the iron

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 14:25. »
I have just replaced our tank last week for the second time in 20 years.

The plumbers from Santa Pola told me they are usually good for 10 years.

I don't have any servicing done at all. Waste of money.

Bought a tank from Pablo at Euronics  for 99 euros. 

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 15:54. »
Need to get a new one mine is 19 years old and never been serviced if I buy one at Euronics do they  fit them as well if so any idea how much I’m assuming it’s about €120 to buy but not sure how much to fit it

Offline Up the iron

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 16:37. »
Hi Spurs,
The one we bought was 99 euros. Pablo organised the plumbers and we paid them separately when the job was completed. 80 euros. Worth every cent.

UTI

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 17:23. »
Hi Wilson, yes I would agree poor installation - the boiler was fixed to an internal wall and the screws had to be quite short so as not to give some awkwardly placed picture hooks in the back bedroom.

Yes the exchanger does fur up - I replaced the original in 2017 and it had lasted 12 years. €200 at Euronics (there are cheaper and dearer) and €80 to fit by Ivan Rubira Saez. In fairness to Ivan he did attempt to clean the old one but it was a step too far.

Reading the earlier post I may fit an in-line filter to the incoming supply.

Dave

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 17:38. »
Thanks uti  does the plumber collect it from Euronics and bring it to flat etc ?

Offline Up the iron

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 18:34. »
Hi Spurs,
Yes they do and they take the old one away.

UTI