Author Topic: Driving in Spain- after 29th March  (Read 2050 times)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Driving in Spain- after 29th March
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:37. »
If our elected members of Parliament screw up on the Brexit fiasco you may which to avail yourself's of one of these little beauties:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may need a 1949 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

Cyprus
Iceland
Malta
Spain

You can get a 1949 IDP over the counter from 2,500 UK post offices.

Each IDP will cost £5.50.

Be prepared !!!   8) 8) 8)
BeachLife

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 19:43. »
As I leave here in a week or so I have got mine already as I can't take the chance of not having one.

If like me you are driving down through France you will also need a IDP 1968 as that's when the French joined the Convention on Road Traffic.

Don't make the mistake of going to the PO for an application form as It's done over the counter on provision of the correct documentation. All the details are on the PO website https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit.

I was the first to do it at my PO and it took about half an hour as I needed two and the staff were unfamiliar with the process as it was only introduced as a PO service on 1st February. It will be  a massive waste of blank IDP books if we go with a deal rather than without.

Dave

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 07:56. »
I remember the first time driving on the continent back in 1971having green card but AFAICR I only carried my normal UK driving licence. So that was pre EU membership days. A lot of cross border agreements predated the EU and I wonder if some of them remain on the statute books.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34. »
Though not connected, there seems a recent upsurge in police  operations where the roads are coned off and every vehicle
is channelled through. Seen 3 on the GA slip road this week alone. Checking licences and documents and vehicle condition and occupants. Maybe linked to recent rise in crime in GA.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 21:31. »
Ive driven in many non eu countries over the last 20 years and was under the impression that a uk licence was recognised internationally as are most other licences issued around the world. Though this was on a non permanent basis as when in Australia on say a 5 year visa your Uk licence would only be valid for i think 12 months.

Offline mikehoward

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 15:50. »
Hi, if you check the website https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit  you'll see that the government are saying you need and IDP for Spain

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 21:59. »
Hi Mike,

As I read the info on the PO website (second para below copied from PO site) an IDP MAY be required to drive in the EU only if there is a no deal Brexit. IDP's will still be required as usual for non EU countries but instead of these being available online as they were previously all IDP's will be issued by the PO.

Things are in a state of flux at the moment as the website says you need one for Portugal but the Portuguese have said that even if there is a no deal they will not require one.
Apparently all will become clear after the 29 March unless our worse than useless leaders kick the can into the long grass, in which case watch this space.

Post office info
"Information provided on the country checker tool is based on International Driving Permit (IDP) requirements for people travelling after 28th March 2019. 

Please note that in the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit, IDPs may be required for people intending to drive in EU countries after 28th March 2019, and this scenario is reflected in the information currently shown"

Dave

Offline kira

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 17:35. »
 just went to get my 2 international driving permit...one for spain valid 1 year one for the rest of europe valid 3 years.....
the post office gentleman was explaining that the law came in on the 2nd february requiring us to have them!.......

Offline mikehoward

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 17:36. »
Hi Dave,

Agreed it all depends on Brexit, it also depends on how risk adverse you are? If it does become a requirement then (I believe) it is unlikely the Post Office will cope. So maybe a small investment now saves a big headache later.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:00. »
I went and got mine yesterday as I'm planning a trip to Bavaria. A most unimpressive document - has all the gravitas of a Poundland loyalty card. Mind you, the mug shot would make you unwilling to meet me down a dark alley.