Author Topic: Gran Alacant News  (Read 14341 times)

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 21:44. »
Thanks John,

Another interesting article is the crackdown on the illegal "taxi's" on the airport run. The police seem to have time to watch frequent departures from GA by the same vehicles; it's a pity they don't have the same time to covertly watch the areas frequented by the thieves, pickpockets and con artists that make peoples lives a misery and give the area a bad name.

Whilst it's difficult not to condone the illegal taxi's it should be about time that the legal taxi's provided a decent reliable service from GA. Whilst the service from the airport is very good and reasonably priced I personally wouldn't want to rely on one for an airport run so the alternative will always flourish.

Not sure this is the correct place for this but hey ho.

Dave

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2018, 09:02. »
Hi Dave, no problems with your post.
When we kept a car at the house in GA we always took a cab from the rank at the airport to the house.
On the return run if a friend wasn’t taking us we nearly always used an “illegal”, always turned up bang on time right outside the door.
We used a guy called Elvis a couple of times, I think he was licensed, he would never come to the house, said he’d get lost finding it, nothing like honesty, we met him on the corner by Sesaduka.....or whatever it’s called!!

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline hyetometer

Gran Alacant News
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2018, 11:10. »
Hi John and Dave,

my questions: How can I tell a legal from an unlegal driver? Or better, how can I be sure that I get a reliable one?

When I last (in July) needed a taxi from Arenales del Sol to the airport I found websites from radiotaxielche and proxitaxi.

For many years I haven't used a taxi, always rented a car, but not this time. Quite expensive just for doing the shopping, and I hadn't planned in my two-weeks holiday any activities apart from swimming and walking and relaxing.

It seemed to me that radiotaxielche only offers to pick you up at the taxi area down at the beach (options: 'quiero ir a la zona' or 'quiero ir a un hotel'), so I decided to book at proxitaxi. I first got a call from a lady who told me the price was 25 Euros (from airport to Arenales I had paid 15 Euros), then a call from the driver confirming the time.

I was rather nervous, but he showed up on time. The driver was very friendly and the car rather new but it had no taxi meter. Since the price was told before I didn't worry about this. Ok, 10 Euros more than before, but I got my flight (which was a bit late but not cancelled!).

So what to do next time? Ask the driver taking me from the airport to Arenales, who was legal for sure, for a number to call when I want to travel back? On the other hand, I read that they might not turn up when I'm standing there with my suitcase packed? Relying on the bus???

Regards all,

Monika

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2018, 16:42. »
The legal cars are plated and metered, the driver isn’t called Jim and drinks in The Cork & Bottle!!

For legal try as the attachment

For illegal just ask in any bar

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline hyetometer

Gran Alacant News
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2018, 23:18. »
Are they reliable?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 13:24. by hyetometer »

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30. »
Hi Hyetometer,

I personally have no idea on the present day reliability of any taxi from GA to the airport (or anywhere else). For the last couple of years I have driven over and stayed for long periods so have had no need for a taxi. My rare visits to the airport are to collect and return my family or neighbours.

As I implied, and John agreed the usual way back to the airport was a neighbour or an "illegal" for the sake of reliability only.

What the present situation is I'm afraid as I said earlier - I have no idea. Perhaps others can help.

Dave

Offline hyetometer

Gran Alacant News
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2018, 11:15. »
Many thanks Dave and John,

my next visit will be in November, at least I hope so. Perhaps the situation has changed by then. (Any information as to the results of the strike?)

Best wishes,

Monika

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2018, 08:57. »
Link to the latest issue

https://issuu.com/davebull/docs/gran_alacant_news_018_-_24th_august

Regards all

John

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2018, 13:16. »

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2018, 16:53. »
Thanks John,

I thought it was April 1st when I read on page 3 the article about signing on the Padron and having a foreign driving licence.

Is this another of those "oh well this is Spain" moments where the situation resembles a Franz Kafka novel or do I need to remove myself from the Padron thereby depriving GA of central government funds.

Dave

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2018, 17:36. »
You couldn’t make it up could you Dave!!
I’m afraid I’d be off the Padron and depriving the area of funds and keeping my own funds intact.
I wonder if the Mayor has fallen out with the Chief of Police......

Regards all

John

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2018, 20:52. »
Good advice John................I'm driving over tomorrow intending to stay 3 months so I'm a prime target especially in a UK registered car. Will get myself off the Padron as soon as possible. May be a storm in a teacup but better safe than sorry.

Strange country where the local plod can interpret government policy on the hoof.

This is Spain.

Dave

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2018, 08:12. »
Spain at its worst - the incredibly  slow bureaucratic headbutting of various departments never cease to amaze me If you cant get clear direction from local government AND the police, well I don't really know what to say. 

I will have to get off the Padron on my next visit - I only went back on it this summer at the recommendation quoted in the GA News to try and improve the local services.

Wonder if there will have to be a reduction in the Police force if there are less people on the Padron - irony or what !

BeachLife

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2018, 09:09. »
What happened to the letters pages in this edition?

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Gran Alacant News
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2018, 10:57. »
It’s Spain BeachLife, sometimes you do wonder at the application of the law.
In February 2017 the Constitutional Court issued a Royal Decree that Plusvalia Tax could not be charged where a property was sold at a loss.....town halls have chosen to ignore this, not surprising when its estimated that 20% to 35% of their income comes from Plusvalia Tax.
As a seller you have to pay it, if you don’t the Town Hall won’t transfer ownership of the property to the new owner.....you then have to enter a legal battle to get it back. The Town Hall can quite legally completely ignore your application for a refund and not tell you that they have filed it in the waste bin.
We’ve just written off the €4,000 they charged us, it’s not worth the hassle
Lord knows why they don’t just get rid of it and collect the money on an annual basis in the form of rates.

Davey, re the Letters Page, Daves been a bit busy lately, he’s launched a newspaper in La Marina, opened a shop in GA and has been working on his promotional videos for GA, I’m sure you can forgive him

Regards all

John