Author Topic: Car Hire Scam  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Car Hire Scam
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:12. »
Just a heads up on the stunts that they pull. Hired a Corsa from Centauro on a recent visit and on collection the parcel shelf was lying loose in the boot. When fitting it, it was very slightly saggy as they are often won't to be. Knowing that car companies sometimes try it on, upon return I took a few photos of the 'outside' of the car as a precaution. Found out a few days later they had charged me E350 with no explanation. Protesting about the charge, they advise it is because the parcel shelf is broken although it is in identical condition as when I collected it. E350 for a E70 shelf!!!!  They are 'avin a larf. Watch this space......

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Car Hire Scam
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05. »
Tony not that im pleased regarding your recent experience but its good that people highlight on this forum that car hire companies at alicante will if the chance arises rip you off once your flight has left the tarmac. In 14 years weve probably rented near 70 cars but had issues with just 3, not a bad rate really. The annoying thing is all 3 were a scam, the missing parcel shelf on return,  yes it did, no it didnt, oh yes it did, try arguing this 2000 miles away, the missing aerial same again, and the best was a 1 inch scratch on the inner surface of an alloy wheel which the girl found at 10pm whilst on her knees and using a torch i kid you not. All these charged to my card at exhorted prices, i recall the wheel was charged at 120 euros bear in mind a full refurb is only 50 and a new wheel less than 100, proof of the repair was never forthcoming despite numerous requests. All these were covered by my excess insurance but it doesnt make it right. I recall a recent post where someone took a damaged car with a scratch back out of hours whilst a result for them the next renter may pick up the bill if they dont spot it before leaving.
They dont like it up em !

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Car Hire Scam
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 06:33. »
The rental prices currently being charged are unrealistic, IMO, and I suspect that this is a regular practice to bring income levels up. If they charged realistic but reasonable rates in the first place, there wouldn't be a need for all this shennagins.

Offline Spartacus

Car Hire Scam
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 19:19. »
DICKMANNS  Car rental a warning

Not sure if this has been highlighted on the forum before but I have just had a bad experience with DICKMANNS Car hire at Alicante airport,i rented a car(through DoYouSpain) at the beginning of April and on picking up the car was told I would have to leave a €950 deposit because I would not take there expensive excess insurance as had my own (£38 a year) that was  fine because I have done this before and received my refund on the return of the car.
Most companies (Goldcar for example) just block it on your credit card so it never  leaves your and account but DICKMANNS actually tranfer the money into their account and there it stays for 28 days until AFTER you have returned the car.
So 28 days later I enquired where my refund was(including my time with the car they had my money almost 6 weeks)
I was told it was 28 working days,so 28 working days later I again asked for my money bearing in mind it takes them 72 hours to reply to emails.
The excuses then came thick and fast I was by now resorting to expensive telephone calls from the UK they told me"it had been passed  to accounts and would be paid soon" then "they were very busy" and the best of all " the person who deals with it at the bank was ill".
It was now 8 weeks and fortunately We were back in G/A so I drove down to their head office in Torrevieja and after much debate and waving of arms 2 days later I got my money back.
My advice is think long and hard before using DICKMANNS  .