Author Topic: Bay of Biscay  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Keith and Jen

Bay of Biscay
« on: May 16, 2016, 20:48. »
We are planning to take the Bilbao/Santander ferry to Portsmouth in early November but are concerned about bad weather and a rough crossing.
Has anyone any experience of sailing at this time of year?

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Bay of Biscay
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 23:03. »
Hi Keith, the first crossing we ever did was 10 years ago this November, it was like the proverbial mill pond.
I'd been unduly worried about the weather, on the second day it was shirtsleeves on deck, it was gorgeous
Our bad experiences have been in April and May

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
Bay of Biscay
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 07:07. »
I think it is pot luck. We've done the bay in summer on a cruise ship and OH was ill. Did Bilbao to Portsmouth one February and OH was ill. A lot depends on your tolerance levels. It was rough when we were on the Queen Victoria but the February trip on the old P&O boat it was only about Force five although the restaurant only had me and about twenty other people at dinner, so perhaps it was a bit rough. Last time I crossed the bay it was a millpond.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Bay of Biscay
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 19:29. »
Crossed it 4 times and never had a problem. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Bay of Biscay
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 20:36. »
We were due to sail that route in reverse in February this year but the sailing was cancelled due to storms forecast. To be fair to Brittany Ferries they gave us the choice of an alternative sailing or a refund. We took the money, that was very promptly refunded and drove over.
As already commented with the weather it's pot luck and your tolerance of rough seas. I was in the RN in my youth and had a couple of horrendous crossings Plymouth to Gib in the summer months and some really smooth Atlantic crossings in early spring.
Dave.

Offline Keith and Jen

Bay of Biscay
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:00. »
Thanks for the replies.  It looks like it's pot luck with the weather.
We just tried to book a sailing but all the cabin accommodation is sold out.  So we will drive through France to St. Malo instead.

Keith
Experience is what you get just after you need it.