Author Topic: Bugs?  (Read 4858 times)

Offline ian-steele

• Supreme Member
Bugs?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24. »
sliding mossi nets on all windows are a must, leave the window open for a brezze, and as richie states keep the place clean leave no crumbs and empty your rubbish bags.
people who live in glass houses should undress in the dark !

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Bugs?
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 12:46. »
Place sounds like Sodom & Gomorrah. I'm going to Costa Del sol  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hahaha

Offline Ash

• Supreme Member
Bugs?
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 13:03. »
dileafy

Sodom and Gomorrah is the better option but they have no forum x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Bugs?
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 14:00. »
Definately prefer our place to the costa del sol !!! On the bugs etc we actually get less than most places apparently it's because of the salt works in Santa Pola the bugs don't like the salt in the air

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Bugs?
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 15:35. »
Good point about the salt in the air.....and I thought it was only slugs that didn't like it......oh...and women...makes them retain water or something!  ;D ;D

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Bugs?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 16:42. »
For ten years had no cockroach problem, how is always clean and no food left out opened food sealed in containers, then suddenly we had a problem, so did a lot of others, seems roach problems have peaks and troughs, we spray regularly now and its fine, think you would be very lucky indeed if at some point you don't have a problem, we had mozzie screens fitted over all doors and windows as my wife suffers bites badly.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
Bugs?
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 21:45. »
Kev i dont know which urb your on but last year was bad on Puerto Marino, we hadnt seen a roach for over 10 years but suddenly they were on the pavements on walls and worse of i found 1 in the bathroom which got in via roof vent. We all think the issue was caused by the noticeable reduction in the twice weekly street cleaner even though GA admin claimed no reduction in service. Also the annual spraying by the urb maintenance team and santa pola council didnt take place thus a roach infestation.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Bugs?
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 22:45. »
In 11 years we've only had two roaches in the house, not sure if they can fly, or if certain ones do, but other than flying in I'm unsure as to how two random ones get in.
The community spray twice a year and the drains get done about four times a year.
As others have said we are scrupulously clean and all foodstuffs are in clickn'clack containers.
When we leave the place empty I have a good spray round with Cucal, I have to wear a mask it smells that bad, all the sinks have plugs in and overflows are blocked
I've put U bends on all the sinks, not sure if it's an old wives tale but they all get a squirt of washing up liquid, ditto the loos which are sealed with commercial shrink wrap, stops the water evaporating
OTT maybe, but as I said we've never had a problem, if we had the Mrs would be on a flight home straight away!!
Biggest pest is flies in late Summer when you are dining alfresco
We get more insects and spiders in our house in the Uk than we ever do in Spain

Regards all

John

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline dleafy

• Supreme Member
Bugs?
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 22:54. »
Some good tips on keeping them out John.
I'm not too concerned about when we move there, it's just that it'll be a holiday home for about ten years and leaving it for so long between visits could be a concern

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Bugs?
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 23:14. »
Ours is left empty for about 8 months of the year, hence all the precautions

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Bugs?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 23:51. »
Yes John they can fly or at least the one that visited us did. It flew in the open door one evening and disappeared into the downstairs bedroom. We closed the door and put a wet towel on the floor to keep it in the room, the following day we gutted the room but never found it.
It showed itself about two months later at about 3am when my daughter woke the urb when it appeared on her pillow but it got away again.
To cut a long story short it bred lots of others and it took about 3 years to eradicate completely, most were sorted with an initial spray of cucal but others turned up at random for ages despite fitting mossi screens and employing the precautions you have listed . The final nail in their coffin was a five month absence by us where the diehards died of thirst 
The moral of the story is dont let them in in the first place because they are around to some extent or other and it's crucial to maintain good housekeeping.
Dave