Author Topic: Brexit, that horrible word  (Read 30954 times)

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Brexit, that horrible word
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2016, 09:33. »
One good thing to come out of this is that young people in the Uk are taking an interest I know several people in their 20s who have never voted before at any election because they weren't interested but they all say they will definately vote in this one.. In fact I expect probably the largest turnout in any vote in the UK .Other people I know are actively out getting postal votes if they are away on the day

Looks like it will go down to the wire I am still undecided but for me the great part is that people finally get their say softer all these years .it's sparked real interest and imagination especially from the young .

May the will of the people win!

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2016, 10:23. »
TTIP is no secret ive been aware of it for well over a year, my sister in law pointed it out to me as she worked in the nhs.  The part that attemps to control eu regulations and gives America carte blanche to take action if it deems anything to be against the free trade is, to me, in need ofvery careful negotiation indeed. Europe is negotiating on this to tryto 'weaken' the power that the americans would like to have within this agreement. 

Europe is a very large body now and has joint negotiating powers that we would not have if we came out.

Britain would certainly want to agree free trade agreements both inside and outside of europe if it came out (even though within europe we would be part of anytrade agreement negotiated with countries outside of europe anyway without having to negotiate alone). We would certainly want to trade with America, as well as others, who do you think would get the better deal, one small GB negotiating alone, or Europe with the voice, legal backing and negotiating power favouring a large body of countries.

I know what my vote is and the more i hear about 'the facts' the more i feel my own decision is reinforced.
I just hope more people look into everything, carefully and dont just vote on a gut reaction to any stories in the press designed to sell newspapers.
Hazel

Offline cathk7@hotmail.com

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2016, 11:02. »
We have applied to vote ,been accepted as eligible ,but ballot papers been sent week before so we don't think we will get them in time to count.I think it's a farce for expats with the postal service.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2016, 22:23. »
How come ex pats have a vote, if you've already left the UK why should they decide my future.
They dont like it up em !

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2016, 22:35. »
We are in the EU so every right to vote

Offline Barry former GA Advertiser

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2016, 22:54. »
We have our voting papers

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2016, 08:12. »
If we vote to remain, there will be a need, IMHO opinion, to radically revise the current welfare state system. There will be a substantial inward migration over the next ten years making us probably the most densely populated country on the planet. Even at current levels we need to build a city the size of Nottingham together with all its infrastructure, schools, hospitals,roads etc. every single year. There is a requirement to always provide accommodation for families with children which I think would become unsustainable. There is already a housing crisis and we have become inured to single people living rough. How will we feel about families living rough? As I say the current framework of the welfare state would become unsustainable without substantial rises in taxes.

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2016, 13:27. »
Right to vote oh please,if someone leaves the UK and resides and registers in another country then any right should be removed. Its like turkeys voting for xmas. Give me strength one more reason to leave.
They dont like it up em !

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2016, 15:46. »
With you there Victor I think its outrageous that residents of another country should have a say in the affairs of the UK, the EU referendum is for British people resident in the UK to say in or out want in or out , its nobodies else business. The fact that Brits in Spain are in the EU has nothing to do with their right to vote, the Spanish won't have to right to vote so why should Brits in Spain have a say.

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2016, 16:20. »
Well the spanish French etc who are in uk will get a vote and some of us pay tax to uk government

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2016, 16:55. »
Well that's the point isn't it, the French and Spanish living in the UK are resident so the in or out referendum affects them as they live in the UK, I pay taxes on my house in Spain but I'm not a resident so would not expect to be able to vote in Spanish elections, why would I have a right to do that ?, also postal votes are subject to fraud, the only people who should have postal votes are registered disabled, if you are on holiday when its voting time tough.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2016, 17:00. »
With you there Victor and Kevin, absolutely ridiculous.
It's like asking expats to vote on maintaining their winter fuel allowance

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2016, 17:17. »
The law states that if you have been out of the UK for less than 15years and on the electrolyte roll before leaving you are entitled to a vote.I do agree postal votes are not the best you would think with the technology now that you could do on line.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2016, 18:36. »
Totally agree if you are a resident in another country you should not vote in UK on postal votes I have had one for years never been an issue and I can't see how I can be made fradualent you have to sign the outer form that is scanned and compared to the signature you gave when you registered .

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2016, 20:45. »
Its been reported that in some Muslim communities people register for postal voting and then a leader makes sure that individuals vote for a particular candidate, this don't happen in a voting Booth.