Author Topic: Electricity supply  (Read 6323 times)

Offline Arab

Electricity supply
« on: March 10, 2016, 18:28. »
Need some help. Looking to increase our electricity supply to the house. I was told I needed a Boletin? and that this can only be done by a Spanish electrician. I have been quoted 200 to 600 Euros for this, anybody know if this is correct or is there an alternative?

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 19:38. »
Yes this can only be done by a registered electrician. The Boletin is the official paperwork that states the supply has been upgraded safely and by a properly registered person. Seems you have a big difference in your estimate.  ??? If you contact Iberdola they will be able to help.

https://www.iberdrola.es/customers/contact/hotlines

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 20:30. »
I had heard that if you have your electricity supply increased that you also pay a higher charge for that electricity, does anyone know if this is correct?
Hazel

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 20:34. »
There are different tariffs available - such as day and night etc. Always worth talking to your supplier about what is best for your needs.

Offline Up the iron

Electricity supply
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22. »
I visited the Iberdrola office last Friday to be told the same information. Does anyone know of a registered electrician in GA. Thanks.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 10:05. »
What exactly do you mean by "increase"? I had never heard there was a hard limit? Or are you talking about having the ability to have more items turned on at once (kettle, heater, hob) for example?

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:39. »
Hi gaveteran
I am not very technically minded so maybe i dont explain what i mean very well, yes, being able to have more things on, perhaps increase  is the wrong word, i think there are different input levels which do allow you to use more things on at once without the trip switch tripping but  it cost more for your electricity charges if you do?
Hazel

Offline Up the iron

Electricity supply
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 11:23. »
My house was originally fitted with a 15 amp main breaker but does trip when there are too many electrical appliances turned on. You will be charged more for electricity but its not too much. Well worth the convenience. Registered electrician anyone?

Offline denandrose

Electricity supply
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 13:05. »
Hi, if you speak to Isobel at the Foreign Advisory Bureau [ FAB office ] in Masa square next to the Patagonia , they have contacts for several professional workmen. The office number is
0034 966699936. They speak Spanish and English. Look forward to your next visit. !

Offline Up the iron

Electricity supply
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 13:27. »
Hi Denandrose, thanks for the reply. I'll give them a call. Back on 17th may, same place  8.30 ish.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 15:01. »
yes, being able to have more things on
Hi Hazel, glad you told me that since I can at least tell you I have had this done in three houses I have lived in. It's an incredibly simple matter of snapping out an underpowered breaker and slotting in a higher rated one - takes 3-5 minutes. Now I cannot speak to how safe that is per se, but I can tell you its what a proper qualified Spanish electrician did for me three times (two different electricians) and each time it cost about €30.... NOT €600!

I can't see how that could possibly affect your bill (other than letting you use more items of course) unless I am missing something entirely?

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 15:44. »
There is a charge on your bill for "capacity", we are on 5.5 KW and are billed accordingly, see attached.
Once the new smart meters are installed they will know if you have an "unofficial" upgrade

Hope this helps

Regards all

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 15:56. »
Wow I never knew that, how interesting. Still, I can understand them wanting to be paid extra if I'm a gluttonous madman who wants my kettle and cooker on at the same time  :'(

Offline llamedos

• Galactic Member
Electricity supply
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56. »

Wow I never knew that, how interesting. Still, I can understand them wanting to be paid extra if I'm a gluttonous madman who wants my kettle and cooker on at the same time  :'(

It's something you take for granted in other countries I guess. I was told by an electrician that the new smart meters will cut out at the meter if you use more current than the one you are shown as having, So any quick fix upgrades will trip if you forget to turn the oven off, before er indoors starts using her straighteners whilst making tea.

Offline Arab

Electricity supply
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 20:50. »
We managed to increase our voltage when we were out in March. Our solicitor arranged a Spanish electrician for us who done the job and we picked up our Boletin. Now we can have the oven, hob, TV lights etc all on at the same time without tripping the switch. Well worth it. Something we take for granted in the UK