Author Topic: Spanish border  (Read 13935 times)

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2021, 20:41. »
Hi Spurs, similar experience to me on your return - what a good idea to check documentation before boarding, it saves all the hassle at the UK end.

Called again by T&T today- they say they will call everyday and part of the message is "we may call round". Getting a bit boring now because it's the exact same speech everyday and they won't deviate from it; you can't engage them in any conversation or get them to deviate from the script.

What a boring senseless waste of money.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2021, 21:08. »
I suppose if someone is out and about spreading the virus it might not be such boring waste of money.

Just had my flight cancelled by Ryanair for July. Am I sorry? no as I can get my money back hopefully. I would not have gone anyway until the Government advice changes and does not advise against all but essential travel.

Is it worth the cost of three tests and ten days quarantine well not to me!

Derek

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2021, 21:24. »
I'm double vaccinated, tested negative before I boarded a plane full of fellow negative passengers and fully intend to quarantine. The senseless waste of money is the daily repetitive phone calls. But the whole idea is to keep everybody in the UK for economical reasons. The Times leader yesterday said as much.

Strange Ryanair cancelling July flights, lack of demand I suppose.

And no it's not worth the tests and quarantine but I'm selling my house so have no choice and I suppose other forum members have their own reasons especially to check on properties they may not have seen for twelve months.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2021, 21:51. »
I suppose if someone is out and about spreading the virus it might not be such boring waste of money.

Just had my flight cancelled by Ryanair for July. Am I sorry? no as I can get my money back hopefully. I would not have gone anyway until the Government advice changes and does not advise against all but essential travel.

Is it worth the cost of three tests and ten days quarantine well not to me!

Derek
i think we all know your views Derek but why should we not go . I’m also double vaccinated have had 1 test in Spain and 2 more to come in next 10 days I will also quarantine fully (which is more than Joe Biden has done ) I have money invested in property out there and as long as I’m allowed to go I will . Boris wants us to make the decisions once we know the facts . I read all the facts and details and decided .

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2021, 10:51. »
Monday, negative antigen test in Spain, today result of day 2 pcr test is negative but still have to test again on day 8 and remain in quarantine until this time next week. Meanwhile 8 EU countries will let me visit with no restrictions on proof of full vaccination. EU citizens can roam far and wide with proof of vaccination. On release from quarantine I'm at more risk going 5 miles up the road to Oldham.
Anyone who says the UK's entry requirements are not politically motivated is deluding themselves. Teresa May said as much in parliament yesterday. Rant over, the grass needs cutting.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2021, 11:50. »
Monday, negative antigen test in Spain, today result of day 2 pcr test is negative but still have to test again on day 8 and remain in quarantine until this time next week. Meanwhile 8 EU countries will let me visit with no restrictions on proof of full vaccination. EU citizens can roam far and wide with proof of vaccination. On release from quarantine I'm at more risk going 5 miles up the road to Oldham.
Anyone who says the UK's entry requirements are not politically motivated is deluding themselves. Teresa May said as much in parliament yesterday. Rant over, the grass needs cutting.
hi Dave what’s your understanding on when day 1 of quarantine is the gov website is as clear as mud . I’m thinking the day I arrived back home is day 1 or is it the next day ?

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2021, 11:55. »
Due to some personal work commitments, I will need to do a day 5 test and release. As if proof were needed that the testing process is simply designed to a) put you off travelling b) make money I was surprised to find after you pay extra for the day 5 test to release you still have to pay for and take the day 8 test.

I can't think of a good scientific reason for that!

If the test on day 5 is safe and good enough why quarantine for longer and take a day 8 test?
BeachLife

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2021, 12:06. »
Hi Spurs, on my test kit instructions it says the day you arrive is day 0. The following day is day 1.

Hi Beachlife, there is no scientific reason only the reasons you note in a) and b).

Offline Pewster

Spanish border
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58. »
Sshhh people.

You’re not allowed to suggest that the marvellous U.K. governments travel policy is at all aimed at keeping the great British on their island.

I mean, allowing 17,000 people who provide a clear test on arrival into Edgbaston for the test match with little in the way of any masks or social distancing, then allowing them to just travel back to their homes and work all over the country, is far less dangerous than people arriving by plane from foreign shores with the same negative test.
Ask any government scientist and they’ll confirm that, hence the need for the additional tests and the quarantine period, it’s all about protecting the public.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2021, 13:04. »
I might be missing something so forgive me, why can’t you use the free NHS tests on returning to uk or any other time  when travelling Or are they not reliable enough. If so why are we using them ???????

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2021, 15:13. »
I might be missing something so forgive me, why can’t you use the free NHS tests on returning to uk or any other time  when travelling Or are they not reliable enough. If so why are we using them ???????
hi Steve no you cant use the NHS supplied ones it says all over the Govt website that you must book and pay for private tests and they will issue with a Code to put into your UK entry document .
I suspect it’s the same test they certainly look the same as the ones my grandson has for school . So the logical reason is that it’s a deterrent to stop people travelling.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2021, 15:21. »

Steve, you are not allowed to use the NHS free tests as that would ruin Boris's plan completely and Cornwall would be empty this summer. You have to book your tests prior to leaving (in this case) Spain and put the PIN number provided on your locator form. I was reading the other day an interview with a fairly emminent microbiologist who estimates the cost + overheads of a laboratory PCR sample test at between £10 and £15; apart from someone opening your sample and loading it to the production line the system is automatic. In France they are free, in Greece they are €40. I seem to recall one of Boris's incompetents saying they would reduce the cost of these tests - I suppose any chance of his retaining his cabinet seat in the next reshuffle went out the window at that point.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2021, 17:30. »
I can't actually see how they are free. Surely you are not suggesting that tax payers that don't wish to travel to Spain should pay for your test.

Derek

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2021, 19:32. »
Got my first call from test and trace today . Reading from a script really pointless questions can’t believe they feel the need to ask do I know I must quarantine at the address I’m at for 10 days ?  No I’ve never seen that in any of the research I did before going . Here hoping tomorrow’s call will be from an adult

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2021, 20:02. »
I can't actually see how they are free. Surely you are not suggesting that tax payers that don't wish to travel to Spain should pay for your test.

Derek

The cost of providing free testing to uk citizens wishing to travel is a mere drop in the vast ocean of debt that Billy Smart and the other bufooneries have saddled us with. This latest chaos caused by Mr Maestros lack of action should in my opinion mean free tests as a consequence for lack of leadership and clarity. Why should I be out of pocket for such Tom foolery.
I bet Big Joe didn’t buy a Ryanair Amber travel pack.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 20:06. by wilson »