Author Topic: Spanish border  (Read 13927 times)

Online Spurs

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2021, 13:31. »
So at 0430 I set off for Stansted Airport dropped off by my son in law . Fully armed with every QR code ,passport international driving permit, deeds of flat proof of tax payment ,in fact anything I could think of to get into Spain. Tried out my new full Perspex face shield in the car and decided it’s definitely they way to go ,didn’t fancy a mouth and nose cover. Stansted very quiet straight through to lounge no restaurant open only take away sandwiches etc . Can’t wear a face shield on plane so back to a mask. The plane was 3/4 empty had 3 seats to myself Seat belt light on the whole flight to keep people in seats. Amazing how long the guy in the opposite seat could make a coffee last as you can take off mask while drinking . First time I’ve see a coffee last the length of France . Got to ALC early straight off plane directed to an auto passport booth then to a person who stamped passport. Down escalator through into baggage a short queue to show QR code then immediately after that there was a thermal camera booth with camera on top two girls were operating it. Then out 10 mins max.

Couple of point for car hirers not sure if they are all doing it but now but goldcar are they charge extra if you do more than 168km per day on average . You only need an international driving license if you still have a paper licence . There is a local tax of €17 added apparently post Brexit . Hope we are doing the same here

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2021, 14:45. »
Thanks for the updates Blue and white stripes and Spurs, very informative.
If the Mrs would let me I'd be joining you!!

Just a question, how do those of you who are residents feel about home owners from the UK coming to check their properties and having a few days in the sun?

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 14:48. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2021, 17:34. »
Derek, I really don't know where the other 70% were, maybe if you glance over your shoulder they are behind the sofa with you. For my part as my house is just sold and the buyer is keen to move in I thought it good manners to come and empty my belongings.

Oh that made me chuckle, I do agree the law/ advice abiding majority in the uk have had enough, the minority will keep undermining the good work indefinitely in my opinion. The current shower clearly can’t run a bath so common sense has to prevail. A lot of my family live in Australia and they returned to normal months ago, vaccinations going well, good leadership and all the country on the same page.

There is the answer Wilson get a visa and join them job done.

Derek

Why would I need a visa when I’ve got dual nationality?

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2021, 17:36. »
Hi Spurs, your experience at the airport pretty much reflects mine although I'm positive there was no temperature check and it definitely wasn't after the QR code scan. It's nice and smooth with empty planes.
My car was from Centauro and there was no mention of a daily range limit but 168km average is something I'd never get close to. Also no add on for local tax post Brexit.
Went out for a pint at dinner at Molly Malones and a meal later at the Gourmet Indian and both times it was absolutely dead although the guy at the Gourmet says weekends are OK. Weather wasn't very kind mind so that and it being a Monday may have kept people in.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2021, 17:40. »
Derek, I really don't know where the other 70% were, maybe if you glance over your shoulder they are behind the sofa with you. For my part as my house is just sold and the buyer is keen to move in I thought it good manners to come and empty my belongings.

Oh that made me chuckle, I do agree the law/ advice abiding majority in the uk have had enough, the minority will keep undermining the good work indefinitely in my opinion. The current shower clearly can’t run a bath so common sense has to prevail. A lot of my family live in Australia and they returned to normal months ago, vaccinations going well, good leadership and all the country on the same page.

There is the answer Wilson get a visa and join them job done.

Derek

Why would I need a visa when I’ve got dual nationality?

In that case as it is so good over there and this country is run by clowns, according to you, I hope the trip goes well.

Derek

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2021, 18:08. »
Can we grow up and stop acting like angry 5 year olds.....if it carries on like this it wouldn't surprise me if some said "my Dad's bigger than your Dad".
Apologies to the vast majority of 5 year olds who are better behaved than this.

Zero deaths reported in the last 24 hours in the UK from Covid, how brilliant is that.

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 18:57. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Online Spurs

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2021, 19:37. »
Hi Spurs, your experience at the airport pretty much reflects mine although I'm positive there was no temperature check and it definitely wasn't after the QR code scan. It's nice and smooth with empty planes.
My car was from Centauro and there was no mention of a daily range limit but 168km average is something I'd never get close to. Also no add on for local tax post Brexit.
Went out for a pint at dinner at Molly Malones and a meal later at the Gourmet Indian and both times it was absolutely dead although the guy at the Gourmet says weekends are OK. Weather wasn't very kind mind so that and it being a Monday may have kept people in.

Hi Dave I don’t think you would have noticed it . I was only looking for it because of the chatter on here . When I left the QR table the barriers pushed me over to the right and there was a new both with 2 young ladies in it and a thermal camera on the top . They didn’t stop anyone or slow the movement down at all and it was in a place where if you weren’t looking out for it you wouldn’t have seen it

Offline Pewster

Spanish border
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2021, 21:15. »

Have you actually seen the progress of the vaccine rollout in Australia?

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2021, 09:59. »

Have you actually seen the progress of the vaccine rollout in Australia?

Yes it’s a shambles, only 2% done, Melbourne lockdown extended & spreading in Care homes. The countries with low vaccinations rate ie most pan pacific countries, Japan, Taiwan etc are seeing large outbreaks.

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2021, 12:49. »
Hi

This cannot be true as in Australia the vaccinations going well, good leadership and all the country on the same page unlike here in the UK where the death rate was recorded as zero yesterday. :-* :-*

Derek

Offline Paublo

Spanish border
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2021, 17:37. »
Re-open EU is a very useful app for finding real time information for travelling into eu

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2021, 23:45. »
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/datablog/ng-interactive/2021/may/31/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-australia-coronavirus-vaccination-progress-updates-tracker-victoria-nsw-queensland-qld-daily-live-data-stats-updates-total-numbers-distribution-schedule-tracking-new-cases-today

It seems Australia is not doing well with vaccinations.

The problem is Kev is that Australia is huge, where my family live in South Australia  there are 2000 occupants in the town which is an equivalent size to Manchester. Whilst my brother who works in health care is vaccinated the other 28 family members aren’t that interested, they don’t know anybody that’s caught Covid let alone died. They don’t leave the state which is 5 times larger than the UK let alone leave the country. They shut the country last March and aren’t looking to reopen until 2022. Many will be happy to keep it closed indefinitely. Oz is literally another world.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2021, 06:45. »
Thanks for the heads up Wilson, interesting to hear from someone who actually knows what's happening, Australia has always been a place I've fancied visiting.

Cheers Kev

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Spanish border
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2021, 06:57. »
I've just recalled  that I once read an article about a farm in Australia which had an area bigger than Somerset, Devon and Cornwall combined, difficult to comprehend when in a tiny crowded country like the UK where if you stick your elbow out of the window you are likely to knock your neighbour out of his armchair.