Author Topic: Vaccinations  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Pewster

Vaccinations
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2021, 12:05. »
And returning to the original subject of this post, vaccinations.

My wife, who’s 55, unfortunately had to travel back to the U.K. in April due to a family bereavement, she had the opportunity to book a first jab whilst there ( once she’d completed her ten day quarantine ) for 19th April. Her second jab would have been the 12th July, for which she would need to travel back to the U.K. In view of what little time she had left to sort things out following her quarantine period she elected to leave her jab and hope that the Spanish rollout would eventually catch up.

She has now just been given the date for her first jab here for Friday the 28th May, her second to follow on 18th June. So ultimately, she’ll be fully vaccinated over three weeks earlier.

Very good point after a really poor start Spain is now vaccinating at pace and rapidly catching up in some places they have moved into 40 to 50 bracket . Not sure that 3 week gap is right though all the science is suggesting 8 to 12 weeks offers best protection

Obviously, like anything, that would depend on which report you choose to believe.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55777084

The U.K. actually started roll out with the three week gap, but then took the decision to extend to 12 weeks in order to administer more first jabs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:06. by Pewster »

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2021, 12:11. »
Pwester

Your are taking the P if you think anyone would now trust the BBC. Their reporter forging documents and the subsequent management coverup as reported by Lord Dyson together with the alleged victimisation of whistle-blowers. A lot of leftie rubbish at best.

Derek

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:14. by Derek »

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2021, 12:13. »
Good point pewster the report I was reading was from an independent American university who have done a lot of deep research on it . Their outcome was for long term protection 8 -12 weeks was best . But for quickest protection 4 - 6 weeks was best . They also concluded that a winter booster is probably needed for everyone this year dropping down to only over 60s next year.
The most interesting part was that there is minimal difference in protection in both the Pfizer and AZ jabs both in effectiveness, whether you can pass it in still or most importantly any side effects including blood clotting , something often thrown at the AZ jab but the reality is it’s no worse than Pfizer or Moderna

Offline Pewster

Vaccinations
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2021, 12:16. »
Pwester

Your are taking the P if you think anyone would now trust the BBC. Their reporter forging documents and the subsequent management coverup as reported by Lord Dyson together with the alleged victimisation of whistle-blowers. A lot of leftie rubbish at best.

Derek

Derek, you really need to expand your vocabulary of insults beyond your normal labelling of everything contrary to your own opinion as ‘lefty’

It would make you a far more pleasant person to converse with  :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:50. by Pewster »

Offline Pewster

Vaccinations
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2021, 12:16. »
Good point pewster the report I was reading was from an independent American university who have done a lot of deep research on it . Their outcome was for long term protection 8 -12 weeks was best . But for quickest protection 4 - 6 weeks was best . They also concluded that a winter booster is probably needed for everyone this year dropping down to only over 60s next year.
The most interesting part was that there is minimal difference in protection in both the Pfizer and AZ jabs both in effectiveness, whether you can pass it in still or most importantly any side effects including blood clotting , something often thrown at the AZ jab but the reality is it’s no worse than Pfizer or Moderna

What I personally find interesting, is that the Pfizer scientists who effectively invented the vaccine still maintain their initial view that the initial 3 to 4 weeks remains correct.

The vast majority of reports challenging that view, are produced from countries that have subsequently extended that.

We also have to take into account, each countries use of alternate suppliers vaccines.

Because of the slow initial response across Europe, we’ve ended up with a far higher roll out of the Pfizer variant than the others.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 12:22. by Pewster »

Offline Alicante Holiday Villas

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2021, 13:12. »
For anyone wanting info about the centres in GA offering Covid tests for returning to UK here are the contact details, prices, addresses, opening hours etc (at the bottom of the link)

https://www.alicanteholidayvillas.com/corona-virus-information

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2021, 14:00. »
Not only is it within the rules to go - (rightly or wrongly depending on your opinion) we are being positively encouraged.

There is a link at the bottom of the main article about the desert in Almeria - worth a couple of days if you have never been.

https://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/32860/you-deserve-spain-ad-campaign-to-encourage-holidaymakers-to-return?utm_campaign=newsletter_20210523&utm_content=news_24691&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sub_newsletter

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2021, 14:26. »
Pwester

Derek

The issue is I believe is the constant gaslighting by our leader and the other dimwits that currently run the country, a total lack of clarity with every announcement shrouded in ambiguity and vagueness, into this vacuum we all pile trying to knit the fog of nonsense that has been created. The question is though is the fog deliberate or just incompetence.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2021, 14:28. »
Thank you AHV. Very useful info about the tests. The test must be taken not more than 3 days before you return to the UK (GovUK).

Also thank you DaveG. I have added this to my list of places to visit once normality returns.

There were some derogatory remarks made here about the administration of this Forum, I have therefore removed them - ADMIN.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2021, 19:41. »
Evening B&W - that's a bit of a show stopper; I had your comments down as tongue in cheek and a bit of a light entertainment after some of the other less well though out posts.

Also just noticed - a belated Happy Birthday Pewster.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2021, 20:59. »
Spot on DaveG. Certainly not aimed at the admin. Just a positive post for a change and a tongue-in-cheek comment aimed at the bickering which goes on.

Offline Pewster

Vaccinations
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2021, 22:16. »

Also just noticed - a belated Happy Birthday Pewster.

Thankyou Dave

But alas, as today’s been one of those rare days where it’s continually lashed down in GA and continues to do so, I elected against frequenting the local bars much.

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2021, 22:50. »
Sorry to hear that but hope you had a good day anyway.

On a positive note for me your description of the rain is great news. I've been worrying about some of my established plants and the longevity of the battery in my irrigation system. The plants were checked a while ago and were OK, I'm out on the 31st so the rain is a blessing for my peace of mind.

Offline Pewster

Vaccinations
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2021, 15:51. »
Not wishing to resort to politics, but just questioning my earlier reasoning from months ago.

Following the latest U.K. action to now move Portugal to amber, am I the only one still thinking the U.K. governments actions seem to be more concerned with people’s pounds staying in good old Blighty to cover the accumulated debt rather than the pandemic, which is all becoming rather a useful excuse ?

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
Vaccinations
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2021, 16:08. »
At the risk of joining you in the "lefty" camp i couldn't agree more.

As you have posted in the past there seems an air of inevitability about it.

And actually I'm more a small c Conservative.