Author Topic: More bad Coronavirus news  (Read 12350 times)

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
More bad Coronavirus news
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 17:12. »
Likely to be some big tax rises coming next year to pay for all this, already talking about VAT, fuel duty,CGT & pensions changes to claw back costs

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2020, 17:53. »
Its inevitable - without doubt general taxation will rise for sure. It will be carefully targeted at areas that will impact the economy the least (but I'm sure it will still be felt)

I have an idea to save some money - Scrap HS2  :o
BeachLife

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 08:15. »
I'm not sure that returning to an office environment is particularly desirable. Not from a Covid point of view but an environmental one. Modern tech enables remote working that lends itself well to administrative type jobs and compelling people to go back to the long commute will do nothing for the country's carbon footprint. Whilst it is probably not possible to eliminate office working entirely, I'm sure much could be done to reduce unnecessary travel.

Offline Peter D

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2020, 09:45. »
Can anyone enlighten me on this 90/180 rule,it's the first I have heard of it.Thanks

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2020, 10:09. »
In a nutshell Peter from next year when the Brexit transition period ends, British people - in line with other non-EU visitors - will only have the right to stay for 90 days out of 180 days in a Schengen Zone country without a visa.

I guess it's all subject to the "oven ready deal" being in place or not.....

Regards all

John.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2020, 11:38. »
Yep John H has it spot on. We (Mrs BL and I) always thought we might stay for - say 4 months - March to June. As previous legislation was after 180 days you had to / should apply for residencia . That now will change to 90 days in any 180.

So its a maximum stay of 90 d in any 180 day period without visa or residencia

Can anyone enlighten me on this 90/180 rule,it's the first I have heard of it.Thanks
BeachLife

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2020, 12:33. »
On the 90 day rule it depends on how strict Spanish authorities are. Would they really stop thousands of brits staying in benidorm for 4 months in winter and impact the economy even more

Offline DaveG

• Galactic Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2020, 12:45. »
For the last 4 years we have stayed February - end June and September to early December. That's all gone now and I try not to be bitter. I'm waiting to see how the deal goes and will seriously consider Residencia if, as I expect, the ideologists get their way.

In answer to Chris and Jackie on the strictness of the Spanish authorities - who knows. If your visa has a expiry on it then presumably you will be in Europe illegally if you exceed the 180 days. It was always the case that stays above 180 days were a bit taboo but with free movement that was just overlooked as it would be too massive an undertaking to monitor it.

Just off on my unicorn now to the sunlit uplands.

Dave

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2020, 13:48. »
The 90 day rule will stop people spending six months at a time over here but people like me who spend a couple of weeks every month will be ok.
Document attached

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2020, 14:02. »
Very useful - thanks

The 90 day rule will stop people spending six months at a time over here but people like me who spend a couple of weeks every month will be ok.
Document attached
BeachLife

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2020, 18:57. »
Money and business always wins, can't see the new rule will make any difference. The Spanish authorities will probably turn a blind eye to it.

Offline Peter D

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2020, 19:02. »
Thanks everyone

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2020, 07:01. »
Document attached
Is the 90 day within 180 not cumulative within the period then? If not then a trip for a few days to Gibraltar and you could stay indefinitely. Can't see the legislation allowing that.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2020, 07:12. »
it's 90 days in a rolling 180 days and it's in the EEC not just Spain  When you want to go to Spain you have to count back to see if you've spent less than 90 days in the EEC to check whether you can go or not. The calculator works it out for you. Therefore spending a day in Gibraltar won't work.

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2020, 09:01. »
Won’t Gibraltar be out as well after Brexit so won’t count towards 90 days,