Author Topic: More bad Coronavirus news  (Read 12345 times)

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
More bad Coronavirus news
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 20:15. »
Try Staysure Insurance. It cost us an additional £15 a year to cover for travelling against Government advice.
Not with existing conditions covered which we have so bit of a deal breaker at moment.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 09:05. »
I filled their form online, declaring heart failure and atrial fibrillation and got quoted £320 a couple for 15 months which increased by £15 a year when we ticked the 'increase cover for travelling against government advice' box option.
They were one of the three firms recommended by the Daily Telegraph for this type of cover, the other two would only cover a trip at a time whereas the Staysure policy covered for the full 15 months.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 13:58. »
Following on from last weeks local Stats - I have updated the spreadsheet this morning for last 14 days to 28/08

Not great to say the least

Data Source:

https://icvgva.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/3a3115ad642a4516b0928f21e395b32d

BeachLife

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 14:55. »
As you say, not great.  Thanks for your hard work!

Bert

Offline NickiH

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 17:26. »
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/spain-breaks-pandemic-record-with-over-9-700-new-cases/1956626
Is this correct Spain had over 9700 new daily cases on Friday ? Seems like they have lost control. Thought the UK wasn’t handling this very well but this is worse

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 17:32. »
Spain seems to include anyone who previously had Covid ie has antibodies as a positive test whereas no other country does. This could be reason for very high numbers.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 21:15. »
I think the way different countries seek and format their data re the virus makes it impossible to make comparisons between countries. We are going out late September, I work for myself so can take two weeks of quarantine off. If I don't get a break I reckon I will need sectioning.

Offline bramleylad

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 21:25. »
Saying on Sky news 23,000 new cases since last friday !!

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 22:15. »
Yes I am beginning to wonder if life will ever return to dare I say normal. We are creatures of habit and the majority of people here in the UK have got used to being paid to stay at home. Having their shopping delivered rather than visiting the shops. The Government appears to have been handing out money in the form of financial help to business like there is no tomorrow. When the hand outs stop the rise in unemployment will accelerate. I believe that the massive spend has just delayed the inevitability of mass unemployment by a few months. So will travel to Spain ever return to pre-virus levels I doubt so, certainly the thought of having to wear a face mask when going out of your house, with only a few exception, in the heat of Spain does not appeal to me. Plane travel is also a high risk according to today's news on a Tui flight from a Greek Island with seven passengers now having the virus. Would I really like to be confine to my house for fourteen days after returning to the UK from Spain certainly not.  I cannot see myself risking a trip to GA until Spain have the infection rate under control; and restriction are lifted. I think that rules out this year and most of next

Derek

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 07:48. »
Derek is talking a lot of sense and I agree with him (and I don't normally say that).
In the last month I spent 17 days in Spain and 14 days in quarantine and I think that's going to be the way forward. I had 3 days without quarantine before returning to Spain to start the cycle again.
This added to the 90/180 day rule which will apply to us from 1st January 2021 will cause a lot of changes to the way we spend our time in Spain.

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 10:40. »
Hi Derek I think you are right life is a long way from being normal. My view on handouts etc is that if a company took the furlow money and then didn’t keep the person on for 6 months after they returned then the whole lot should be claimed back by govt and if company goes bust then directors become personally liable . We are too soft
I’m still hoping to get to Spain in Oct

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 10:51. »
Latest figures show some decline with 7 day rolling average down as well so not all bad news.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2020, 11:13. »
We no longer own a property in GA, but we still holiday several times a year, or should I say we did, we have missed two holidays so far due to Covid....both cancelled through our choice and this weekend we cancelled third, a holiday we have booked to go to Cyprus in November. As pure "holiday makers" we can see no enjoyment in going away at the moment, either with the travelling side of it or the restrictions in place at the destianation, it just woudn't be relaxing.
For the first time in as long as I can remember we are in a position of having no booked holidays in the pipeline.
I had to laugh last night watching the news, there are all these folk saying that we are sheep and that masks do nothing, yet all those people on a TUI flight to Cardiff are belatedly up in arms because not everyone on the flight was wearing a mask!!
We live in a holiday resort in the UK, its been packed for six weeks, we will be very happy next week when all the schools are back and we can have our town and coastal areas back to enjoy in a more relaxed state.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 11:20. »
Agree with you Spurs, also I think employees have an obligation to go back to work, if you accepted a job working in an office that's where you should be, yes ok perhaps spending one day WFH, trouble is now we have too many people who have got very comfortable being at home.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2020, 12:57. »
The current situation is now starting to wind people up, millions on full or nearly full pay being paid to do nothing until the end of october, its become one big jolly for some. I saw a survey that 9 out 10 people working from home said it was working well and should continue, funnily only 3 out of 10 employers agreed. In my opinion the teachers need to stop creating excuses ( bear in mind theyve been paid £15,000 to do very little since march) and get teaching and everybody needs to get back to work, unless it really isnt safe to do so, no excuses no dragging it out any longer. On the news this morning some important person suggesting we extend furlough until march next year for the hospitality industry. The mind boggles there is no good news just different levels of bad news.