Author Topic: Unlocking the lockdown  (Read 25125 times)

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2020, 08:45. »
"We have done the trip a couple of times. Depends how much time you have. The cheapest route is channel tunnel down through France and into Spain but it’s a gruelling drive if you only have a couple of days to get there. We did it in two days but it was driving 10 hours a day. The easiest way is the Plymouth to Santander route then it’s a 6-7 hour drive to Alicante straight down towards Madrid and then Albacete then Alicante. This is what we are going to do next year we think."

I think your timing must be wrong. It is 550 miles and divide that by 6 and you get nearly 92 miles per hours. I expect with stopping for fuel you would have to maintain at least a 100 mph all the way. Having done this route many times I would allow 10 hours for the journey.

Derek
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:40. by Derek »

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2020, 11:03. »
Chris and Jackie, the reason Spanish government say measures last during the state of emergency ( and the state of emergency lasts until 24 May ) is because the two are legally linked, they cant have the measures without it being a state of emergency, thats why every couple of weeks they have another meeting to agree another date, doesn't mean the state of emergency ends on that date, just when the next meeting to discuss how and when and if to extend it happens.
I would say its far from a shambles here and is very well organised

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2020, 13:21. »
Just for interest - (I have shortened the link)

https://tinyurl.com/y9ox5y4l

Use translate on your browser if it doesnt automatically open
BeachLife

Offline Derek

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2020, 15:18. »
Chris and Jackie, the reason Spanish government say measures last during the state of emergency ( and the state of emergency lasts until 24 May ) is because the two are legally linked, they cant have the measures without it being a state of emergency, thats why every couple of weeks they have another meeting to agree another date, doesn't mean the state of emergency ends on that date, just when the next meeting to discuss how and when and if to extend it happens.
I would say its far from a shambles here and is very well organised

You must appreciate that if it is not organized by the British it must always be a shambles.

Derek

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2020, 22:04. »
Wondered what this was coming past the house yesterday morning - "bleaching the streets" !!!   :-X
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 22:06. by BeachLife »
BeachLife

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2020, 23:39. »
U.K. Have the day said no exemptions for French, apparently some confusion!!!

Whatever the quarantine rules are across Europe they are not coordinated!

Offline NickiH

• Supreme Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2020, 07:55. »
Hi Derek, yes I have got a bit muddied there. The last time we travelled by car we travelled from Roscoff down to Alicante and we did the Roscoff to San Sebastián in a day and stayed overnight then I Denver leaving San Sebastián at 8am the next morning and we arrived in Alicante at 4pm. Santander is further West. So would take 10 hours as you correctly say. It’s a great trip if you have the time to do it

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2020, 14:11. »
Seems Italy are opening borders 3/06 inline with other European countries as U.K. Still has unrestricted travel rights in EU for 2020 gives some hope for tourism if U.K. Allow travel.
https://www.dw.com/en/italy-to-allow-unrestricted-travel-starting-june-3/a-53461107

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2020, 14:53. »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2020, 15:49. »
I guess Spain and other poorer countries are hoping Germany, Netherlands etc will back this fund they want to tap to rebuild economy but Germany doesn't seem to keen on bailing out more lame ducks like Spain, Greece & Italy and of course why should they !

Offline bertdove

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2020, 16:25. »
At least the EU won't need to bail out the lame duck UK!

Bert

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2020, 19:37. »
The problem is Italy, Spain, Greece & some others need tourism as it's a massive part of GDP without tourists they need to borrow massive sums. Without German & Netherlands & other N. European countries backing the so called corona bonds they won't be able to borrow because no one will lend them any money, German voters don't want to bail out the inefficient sometimes corrupt S. European countries.

So basically Spain etc are scuppered without Germany or tourists or both. UK on the other hand can fairly easily sell gilts etc to raise funds but Boris wants as many people back working ASAP so they can keep bill down.

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2020, 10:05. »
Looks like U.K. Backtracking on quarantine rules and transport secretary stated they are considering allowing travel between countries with lower infection rates so that's most of EU at present, whether there's some sort of reciprocal deal going to be announced soon, who knows !!

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2020, 18:03. »
Greece has just announced they will waive their 14 day self isolation rule for Brits, so a country with a very low infection rate is going to invite people in from a high infection rate country, they must be mad.

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Unlocking the lockdown
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2020, 22:27. »
From todays El Pais
BeachLife