Author Topic: Hire car gold car  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Hire car gold car
« on: July 07, 2020, 16:03. »
Hello all
Sorry I know this must of been discussed before, but are goldcar a really bad company to hire from? I have looked up the reviews on trust pilot and they look awful. However just for balance I looked up enterprise ( who we used last year with no issues) and they too come out bad. I also know people are more likely to leave a bad review if they have had bad treatment. If it’s just been straight forward people are less likely to review, as all was well ....
.... should I stay clear?
Phillip

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Hire car gold car
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 16:18. »
I would unless you are taking their own fully comp insurance. I know lots of people who have had problems with alleged damage on return . The only one I now use regularly is Centauro I’ve never had an issue with them , but I’m sure some probably have

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Hire car gold car
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 16:59. »
Will never Goldcar again, they will try and force their expensive excess insurance on you even if you have your own cover , they say it's not good enough.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Hire car gold car
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 17:19. »
We used Golcar 2 years ago out of necessity, on collection they didnt have the correct group car so gave me next group up which was a diesel not petrol as requested. The car had 25 areas of damage of which i think only 18 were listed, it took an hour to update the system to show all the damage. We had prepaid so drove off into the sunset. The invoice i viewed next day online and saw that additional fee for upgrade, a diesel supplement fee and a fee for key drop on return, which with all the damage you would be balmy to do. Anyway they had took the money sneakily, so i asked for it back, Goldcar launched a thorough investigation and concluded that i had requested all the additional fees. Do You Spain who i booked through were about as much help as a soggy tissue, probably inundated with similar stories. The EU had just found them guilty of illegal practises so i did a chargeback on the additional fees which took 3 months to get back. So i wouldn't recommend them, probably the last 10 cars have been via centauro directly and touch wood no issues but i still wouldn't be complacent.
I also think Goldcar are know part of Enterprise

Offline Phillip

• Supreme Member
  • De cuerdo y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Hire car gold car
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 20:44. »
Thanks for that... I think I will give them a swerve.
Anyone know about Sixt???  any better??
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 20:49. by Phillip »
Phillip

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Hire car gold car
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 21:58. »
Don’t know about Sixt. But I would swerve both Goldcar and Firefly , had the worst experience ever at Firefly they gave me a beaten up wreck with more dents than body and charged me €200 when I took it back for a scratch that was already on it . I took them to the EU organisation and won . Never used them again

Offline Pewster

Hire car gold car
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 14:23. »
For the year I was hiring cars , always used xtra car , haven’t got the number to hand but 90% sure I got the number from doing a search for ‘car hire’ on here.

Offline Andy L

Hire car gold car
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 15:05. »
We always used to use Xtra car hire, contact Paul 0034619726480 email xtrarentacar@xtra-car-hire.com

Offline chris and jackie

• Galactic Member
Hire car gold car
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 15:35. »
We have used  Goldcar 4/5 times a year for the past 5 years and not had any problems, the key thing is to check car before leaving car park and also wait in car park on return until they have checked and confirmed that car is all ok.
We used to use record but they slipped an extra fee through for damage after they had certified in writing car was all ok, disputed via credit card and got refund but not sure them since.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Hire car gold car
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 09:26. »
Used Record for years and despite a glitch a few years ago when they had some shocking cars on their fleet they have always been great.
 I've never been stung for any excess charges or damage.
I once had a car broken into, I told them, within half an hour I was at the airport and the car was changed over free of charge.
Once had a flat tyre, there was a spare but no jack in the car, again within the space of an hour a guy came to the house, not with a jack, but with a replacement car complete with spare and jack.
I do pay the full insurance, takes all the stress away, they never even check the car when you return it. I also pay for priority queue, the system works and to me is worth it.
I never pre pay, once I've booked I check the price every week, if it's substantially lower I cancel and rebook....that one move has saved me a fortune over the years.
I'm also in their club which gives a 10% discount on the basic hire cost.
We used Record last year in Málaga and Palma and as usual had excellent service and cars with less than 3000 Kms on the clock.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."