Author Topic: More Visitor s  (Read 2243 times)

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« on: February 26, 2016, 18:58. »
Article in the Mail today, Brits are flocking to Spain this year, people avoiding Egypt , Turkey, Tunisia due to terrorism concerns, good for the Spanish economy.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 19:18. »
Three places I wont be visiting Kevin in the current climate, as you say a bonus for Spain and Western Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 21:44. »
In all fairness John weve visited these countries years ago, and decided at the time of leaving that we wouldnt rush back. They weren't that safe before.
They dont like it up em !

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 21:48. »
Mrs H has said that for years Victor, I've fancied a trip to Egypt for a few years, she wont go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline mike and judith

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:05. »
Agree John.  Had booked the cruise in the year of the uprising.  Took a year to get the money back, but the real regret is that we can't safely visit the valley of the kings et AL.
Their economy is so tourist dependant it's unreal, & the fact that people will understandably fight shy of going to the place just feeds the unrest.
Personally, have been there both before their flirtation with the Russians & afterwards.  The difference is noticeable.
All this said, would love the opportunity to SAFELY take my wife there, & there must be millions who would cherish the opportunity

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:26. »
Did the Nile Cruise a few years back when it was dodgy, was worth the risk, fascinating.

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 07:28. »
Visited my daughter in Cairo about ten years ago when she was working there. Don't fancy going there now.

granalacant

More Visitor s
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:54. »
Went to Istanbul 4 times over the last year. Planes always full, city itself full of people (not difficult in a city larger than London and with a lot to see). Never a single problem, foreign women walk around without any police control necessary - unlike in some British cities.
Saw tonight hotel rates going up after the (logical) dip in jan/feb, rising some 25% after january (no tourists traveling then ...). Can t see all the fuss.
As though out of say 10 million people visiting, they are going to target exactly me.

Besides - quite funny. Without opening my mouth, or saying anything, 7 out of 10 Turks seem to assume I am Spanish and even use the "bueno, bonito, barato" in the Bazaar. Spain must be leaving some imprint on me. When with wife, no one passes me any attention and it is all "hola bonita" to her    :-)

I really wonder why instead of those horrible stalls on the Explanada, they cannot make something like the Bazaar in Alicante.  Or some kind of chinatown. Would be far more fun than what there is now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 14:39. by granalacant »

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
More Visitor s
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:03. »
Regarding london being smaller than Istanbul did you not know its not the size but the quality that matters
They dont like it up em !