Poll

Brexit Poll - Stay In or Exit the EU

Stay in the EU.
19 (65.5%)
Exit the EU.
10 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Brexit....time to take action?  (Read 14364 times)

Offline Calsh

Brexit....time to take action?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 10:05. »
Apparently, Spain is the number one destination for UK benefit fraud, costing an estimated £82 Million each year, therefore, I am sure a few claimants could be living in or around GA.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11026524/Expat-benefits-cheats-cost-Britain-82million.html

Cal

Offline Corporal Jones

• Galactic Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 17:12. »
As a 40% taxpayer in the uk,if i was aware of anybody in GA claiming uk benefits without informing dwp they spent there lives living in the sun, i would gladly shop them. On the subject of brexit, i keep hearing what a great boost migration is to the uk economy, so why are the new eastern members so against the removal of benefits paid, thinking more if they are such an economic benefit to the uk why on earth do they need benefits at all. Im confused
They dont like it up em !

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 21:23. »
Excellent Victor, can't fault your logic, truth is immigrants in the UK aren't the boost to the economy that we are told, I had a Turkish family as potential tenants for one of my houses, they were on low wages so qualified for £484 a month housing benefit, had two kids so two child benefits as well, so ho w are they contributors to our economy ?

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 08:16. »
Coming ut of the EU isn't going to change any of that. Only changing our benefits system will change the phenomenal amount that we pay out in benefits, not just to migrants but to UK residents as well.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 08:45. »
Agree Tony, but if we come out of the EU, we can start by stopping social security to incoming immigrants which would be a step in the right direction.

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 09:39. »
Have to admit i am in agreement with tony too, i have long though that giving child benefit for ever increasing multiples of children in a family is wrong and think payments should stop after two and have been shocked to hear how much can be given out in housing benefit, tax credits etc, i am not generally a cameron fan and think he is trying to reign these payments in but feel its an uphill battle which will take a very long time. Unfortunately there is a small element of our culture that needs to change with some people taking more responsibility for themselves and not just taking an attitude of being better off on benefits so why should they work.
Hazel

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 10:08. »
I think it's time this particular gravy train is parked up for good . If other countries manage with much less in benefits than we do then we should make ours less attractive . Family allowance for 2 children only and means test it . Total available benefit should be the same amount that 1 person can earn on the new living wage after tax for 40 hours ....

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 10:24. »
Totally agree Hazel and Spurs.

granalacant

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 17:48. »
When is England leaving? Have the bottle of Cava already in the fridge ...

Offline sunseekers

• Galactic Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 18:44. »
Dont open it yet then, i am waiting to celebrate with mine when we are voted in. It will be an interesting few months
Hazel

granalacant

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 19:33. »
I think it's time this particular gravy train is parked up for good . If other countries manage with much less in benefits than we do then we should make ours less attractive . Family allowance for 2 children only and means test it . Total available benefit should be the same amount that 1 person can earn on the new living wage after tax for 40 hours ....

minimum "leefloon" in Belgium for a person living alone is some 1200 euros. Per month, tax-free. Plus other costs, like e.g. child benefit etc.
I always wonder when I hear English people talking about their unique "benefits" what they actually mean ...

Offline Tony Gillam

• Galactic Member
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 08:15. »
Is it time limited? Even if we continued at the current level, which I don't think we should, it should be limited in duration.

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 15:39. »
For years I've always believed we should stay in.........not any more.
The Euro is doomed to fail,the refugee crisis is showing there is no true union or real power in Brussels, each and every country is only interested looking after their own interests, the EU is a massive bureaucratic expense in self destruct mode.
Issues we have with the EU IMHO are far greater than the relative minor amount we pay in tax credits/family allowance to people who come to the UK to work.
I've got the cigar ready for the 24th June

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 15:43. by John Hannon »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

granalacant

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 16:30. »
right: need anyone to show you the door?

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 18:56. »
Saw an interesting article this morning that over the last few days the penny has dropped for many of the EU leaders that the UK may actually leave and somewhat belatedly they are realising that it would be the last thing they want and totally not in their countries interest and even the Germans are saying it would be a disaster and may lead to the end of the EU altogether
There is a feeling creeping into the EU that more concessions may need to be offered over and above what Cameron managed to get  and they expect these to be filtered in as the referendum countdown starts in Ernest so it's starting to look like they want us to stay after all .
I think the big issue will be convincing the uk public as almost everyone you speak to wants out at the moment
So let the campaigning begin !!!