Author Topic: Moving to GA  (Read 2316 times)

Offline miodrag

Moving to GA
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:22. »
Hi everybody,
My wife and me are planning to move next june, or in the following 6 months, to Gran Alacant, or somewhere around. We had flat in Costa Hispania for last 12 years, and now, that our son is going to university, we want to make a move. I have a printing business which i intend to sell and start something small, like business cards, flyers, over there. Have vast experience so i'm sure i will find something to keep me busy. Please comment if you think it is stupid, that is why i chose the Avatar i have.
What i want to know, if anybody has information, is the situation on the stretch between Santa Pola and Elche. There are numerous houses for sale there, some of them very cheap, alongside that road, in Les Bayas, or further to Torrevieja side, in Las Hoyas. As we would like to have a house with a big garden, and do something with that garden (not to plant), i wonder if it is such a good idea. My worry comes from the pictures on the sites of real estate agents: every window on every house over there has a security bars, so, i would appreciate if anybody has information on how safe those properties are.
Also, in the case of possible addition, i would appreciate if anybody has an information how complicated it is to get a approval for an addition on the existing house. I know that all works have to be registered with the local authorities, but, i can't find anywhere how complicated and timeous that process is.
Regards to all of the posters.
Miodrag

GAMagazine

Moving to GA
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 13:22. »
Keep in touch with the area by reading the local magazine at    www.granalacantadvertiser.com

I was in the print business all my life before moving here 13 years ago.

Operated Lithographic presses and then on to pre press, where all of my digital knowledge enabled me to start our magazine out here 10 years ago..

Most magazines such as ours also do flyers, business cards, menus etc

Offline miodrag

Moving to GA
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 13:35. »
Thanx,
i've been reading the magazine since day one. Whenever in GA, by getting one in my hand, elsewhere, reading it on Internet. As for the printing business, yes, i know, there are many people doing it. I would probably shift more to art printing, photoshop, design, and, of course, straight digital printing. Not under the pressure, have saved some money, but after thinking which business should i start there, realized that i'm really good only in one, which is printing. Started with Mac II in 1989, and progressed to full litho print shop which i have now. But i got tired, and want to be one man show again. But that is just one of ideas, will have to spend about a year there before deciding what to do. Thank you for the information

GAMagazine

Moving to GA
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 16:48. »
Surprising how many people you meet who were in print. Now 68 years old so looking to retire completely

Offline miodrag

Moving to GA
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:56. »
It used to be a big industry. Not anymore. I'm 52, so still got couple of years to go. Somebody might comment: "but doing business in GA is like retirement already" but i know this industry too well to know this is not true. Regards.

GAMagazine

Moving to GA
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 13:37. »
Our business is very part time.
Moved here when I was 54
So have not done one full days work since I moved here

Offline miodrag

Moving to GA
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 09:23. »
That sounds like either the bad or the good thing. And if it is a good thing, why would you retire completely. I appologise if the question is too personal.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
Moving to GA
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 10:10. »
Please be aware that the area sees roughly 28 new magazine launches a year, and that down San Miguel way they will pay YOU to have business cards printed! :)

Joking aside, unless you have some incredibly unique idea that hasn't been tried here before (bearing in mind we now even have a magazine who's unique selling point in QR codes) it would be extremely dangerous to try and put your print skills to work out here.

I hate to sound the pessimist, but this is my honest opinion.

Offline miodrag

Moving to GA
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 12:45. »
Thank you for the advices, but printing was not the main topic of my post, and, yes, i have different approach, as i said it will go more into an art print. What i wanted to find out is security situation in Les Bayas nad Las Hoyas. Also, has anybody got an experience with house extentions and building on plots.

Offline peterjhaines

Moving to GA
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 19:40. »
another lithographic printer here!!
currently running Heidelberg speedmaster xl75 ::)

anyway, looking forward to forgetting about all that for a couple weeks this July.

cant wait!!!

sorry to hijack this thread

GAMagazine

Moving to GA
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 21:53. »
Us printers will have to have a Union meeting