Author Topic: Community Insurance  (Read 801 times)

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« on: July 12, 2022, 10:32. »
We've always been told that our community insurance covers our houses, structural, subsidence and fire etc and we only need to have contents insurance , am I right ?

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 12:26. »
Hi Kevin, our community insurance quite rightly covered the items you mentioned.
I did chat about reducing our insurance to contents only with Linda Rowland......I didn't.
The difference in premium was negligible, single figures Euros different, importantly Linda pointed out that community insurance, like contents insurance doesn't include public liability....so if a child poked it's eye out on a twig sticking out of our garden fence I'd be looking at a mouth watering compensation claim.....or should a workman slip on the stairs on a water leak he'd come to repair....

Regards all

John
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:27. by John H »
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline Aficionado

• Galactic Member
    • Hopper & Co
Community Insurance
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 13:54. »
I recently became aware that the community policy for Altomar 2 only covers damage etc to outside walls i.e internal walls and floors may not be covered, could be important if tiles decide to "explode" as has been known to happen, I was told this and have yet to check it out with Admin but it might pay to read the small print on your community policy.
Mike and Jane Hopper

Offline John H

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 15:00. »
I believe you are correct in saying that Aficionado.
The "idea" behind community insurance being that if a neighbours house suffered a fire and was left looking in a shocking condition, the insurance wouid rebuild the "exterior" and make it structurally sound, the propery would not then have a "negative" effect on other properties in the community.

Regards all

John
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 20:16. »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I've had cracks appear in tiles in the bathroom, no signs of cracks in walls, I'm trying to get clarification from our admin, we were told years ago by our then president that we only needed contents insurance as the fabric of the building was covered by the community insurance, I'm suspecting this is a grey area.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 20:22. »
I forgot to mention, when we arrived at our house in September, a table lamp that sits on a wall bracket was on the floor and there was a vertical crack in the bathroom tiles, it did make me wonder if there had been an earth tremor.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 21:30. »
What urbanisation are you on Kevin ?

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 10:54. »
4.2B down the hill, off Av de Polonia

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Community Insurance
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 11:00. »

Offline marcomarcos

Community Insurance
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 14:46. »
We did have a community policy in the Panorama development in the early days but I’ve never trusted it for the reasons discussed previously in this thread.

When you purchase insurance, make sure you get the “consorcio” add-on that puts you in the Spanish government pool for natural catastrophe risks such as earthquake and flood.

If anyone wants a link to purchase good comprehensive holiday home insurance with consorcio then drop me a private message, I’ve got a referral link that we will both benefit from.