Author Topic: Grilles !!!  (Read 513 times)

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« on: February 01, 2022, 17:22. »
After having the house for 16 years now and having had a few repaints - the grilles are starting to "rust bleed" again in places. I am trying to work the options:

#1 Another hand repaint
#2 Removal, chemically strip, and recoat
#3 Brand new.

OR (the one I am trying to convince the Mrs on)

Let's get rid of them all!

I have new secure (Brinas) double glazing and door, do I need them?(grilles)  I know houses on our Urb. that have never had them and never had a problem. House would look smart er without

What does the forum think ?
BeachLife

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 18:19. »
I sprayed mine - it was a lot quicker than hand painting by brush. I fitted grills to the front, rear and sunroof doors and have never regretted it.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 18:30. »
Which spray paint did you use / where from ??

Steve

Offline Spurs

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 19:51. »
I’ve had the same issue . Hammeright lasts about 3 years but I’ve never found anything better either . What is the spaying option never seen that .

I suspect I will be doing the long tedious hand painting job for years to come

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 21:48. »
Must admit there are a few houses on our phase without grills, they have never had a problem, on a visit to our house not long after we bought it we had an attempted break in, without our grills they would have got in. Having the grills give us peace of mind when we are back in the UK.

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 18:35. »
I bought standard black gloss spray paint at 2€ a can from the Chinese shop. I used a can per grill.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 18:45. »
I do like the grilles discussions, our properties all have grilles fitted on all points of entry. They all require repainting every couple of years, a like sand to remove anything flaky then a liberal coat of smoothrite. We did look at having them blasted and powder coated but the cost put me off, I think a door was €150. Grilles are a layer of security and a deterrent to any would be naughty person, they will not stop a determined intruder, when I paint mine I take them off and paint them on the floor, removal takes 1 simple tool and 5 minutes of effort. As for the windows they can’t keep out a draught let alone a burglar again 1 tool or use the cutlery draw and out pops the window, the shutters well I’ll say no more. Security is all about the odds, if no one has grilles then the odds are in your favour, if only 5 in a 100 have none then the odds go against you. Obviously good neighbours, cctv, and security lights all play a part.
Couple of years back some guests had locked themselves out, I said go for a drink and give me half hour, grille off, window out, door opened and all put back together whilst beer still cold.

Offline kevinb

• Galactic Member
Grilles !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 23:00. »
We frequently in hot weather leave our solarium door open and lock the grill gate, at night it creates a nice ventilation. Our downstairs front window and gate grills which face out onto the patio are fixed into the wall by steel dowels welded to the frames, the company that fitted them commented that otherwise it's easy for the thief to get the screws out, a bit overkill I think as burglars are looking for a quick entry, quite a few other residents around as a deterrent to a long attempted entry.