Author Topic: gabbe market closing down sale.  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
gabbe market closing down sale.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 09:01. »
Despite the fact that it's full of 95% tat, over the years I've had quite a lot from them, mugs, spray paint, screws, nails, adhesives, curtain pole ends etc. Nothing electrical or particularly costly though.

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 13:11. »
Monday update another visit to Gabe with Wilson juniors to stock up with felt, slime and other carpet sticking materials. Most of the tat is now sold, there quite a bit of rubbish left with a ton of absolute bonfire material still left to sell. The wigs and trolley wheels have been joined by GA fridge magnets. The word on the street is further discounts are imminent so hold your nerve.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 13:15. by wilson »

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 09:26. »
Straight from the horse's mouth. I asked the lady on the till when they were closing (Remember this is an English guy speaking Spanish talking to a Chinese (presumably) lady that speaks Spanish) but the answer seemed very clear. Today is their last day trading, they close Friday. They are moving to the new building opposite "when its finished". This seems pretty obvious, you can tell from its construction it was never going to be a Aldi. I'm just pleased its not going to be a waste recycling center, although in some ways, I suppose it will be.

If Lidl are coming at all (and I believe I saw something independent verifying that a while back, a news report or something) then I assume that the same way they did on the 332 last year, they demolish the existing eyesore (wasn't it supposed to be a cinema in the first place?!) and build a bigger, more modern,eye-sore made out of glass so you can see Aldi's quality good glittering inside. Owners nearby can rejoice in the sound of truck reversing beeps at 5am. With that and the new Chino so close together, and land still to spare, I can envisage a day that Poundstretcher and Primark move in, and really make that area all it can truly be.

Straight after that's done, we'll be rolling full steam into the train connection to Alicante that's going to fit into that land as well, and then send all the machinery straight over the road to start on the golf course!

Offline Blue and white stripes

• Galactic Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 10:38. »
I was waiting for the golf course to be mentioned.  :) :) :) :)

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 14:36. »
Clearly Gaveteran when I asked the guy guarding the door from his deckchair what the plan was he deliberately misled me, the reason I think was to make me panic buy stuff I didn’t know I needed as when it’s gone it’s gone. If he said were reopening soon over there I could delay the wig purchase for later, a canny move I think.
I do recall 2008ish the Gabe was being built by Eroski supermarket, then the crash and it lay unwanted until all that glitters came along. Aldi have pockets deep enough to clear the site and build a state of the art supermarket in 3 months so watch that space.
Looking at the road infrastructure going in I would guess that this prime land with panoramic views will be totally developed. Sad to see but no surprise really.
As for a golf course that ship has sailed as it’s no longer a profitable venture.

Offline gaveteran

• Galactic Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2021, 13:00. »
Well, no gossip, or, cough, Chinese whispers this time! I can tell you all for a fact that the entire building is already half demolished. I don't expect there to be anything left at all on Monday except rubble (1 euro a rock, 50 cents for bags of gravel). I am not sure how they did it so fast. Possibly they left behind all the extension cables, plugged them all in at the same time, and took half the building down in one go haha.

I assume the Aldi workforce will move in straight after. I for one am looking forward to the day I can visit the area to buy a box of wine for 50 cents, and a red wig to wear while I am drinking it, all in one quality location!!

Offline wilson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2021, 18:51. »
Don’t panic apparently the PRC have cannily redistributed the quality merchandise it couldn’t sell or give away to its other local outlets in the Alicante region, any rumours of a shortage or panic buying of maneki nekos as presents for Xmas are unfounded.

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2021, 16:03. »
Any photos of the demolition / progress

Offline BeachLife

• Galactic Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 09:53. »
It came down pretty easily in about 24 hours !

This was all that was left yesterday morning
BeachLife

Offline steve watson

• Galactic Member
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2021, 14:08. »
OMG